Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Hello everyone! And thanks for all the info I've received already from the forum. This is my First post after lurking for a while.

I just picked up a 2000 tracker 4wd two door,2.0 automatic. It needs a little work, but all in all it's a pretty sound little hoopty and runs pretty good...but need a tune up, etc. No rust at all (Oklahoma).

I'm going to use it as a get around (fuel mileage better than my big truck!!), spare vehicle and a hunting buggy project. I'll put some better tires on it, fix it up and make it nice, reliable and make it look good.

Anyway, back to the issue. I searched The Forum for quite a while and never really found anything on this specific issue so here goes. When I picked this thing up Friday, It was FILTY inside and out and under the hood....so I drove by the car wash. I know...I know I should have waited till I got home to do the engine, but I did the no no and washed the motor down. I KNOW BETTER....I BUILD cars/trucks/cycles...I WORK ON CARS/trucks/cycles...I had a breakdown of some sort and did it anyway...LOL. Sprayed on the castrol super clean, let it sit, the hosed everything down with a vengence. Once finished washing the rest of the thing got in and of course....turn turn turn turn...and no fire. Ok....so I got it wet, i'll dry some stuff out, spray some miracle in a can, wait a while and it'll fire up.

(Tick tick tick....2 HOURS LATER)

Ok, so maybe not...LOL. So on to the trailer it goes (I Love winches on trailers...but that's another post). So I spend a few hours searchin' on the old interweb and never really found a duplicate of the problem with an exact fix, so I spent a few hours troubleshooting and checking voltages, etc.

Ok....here goes. Got it pretty much nailed down to the cam position sensor, hit the parts store, switched it out and everything's great again. Vroom Vroom speed buggy is alive.

If you wanna wash the engine in one of these...COVER THE CAM POSITION SENSOR REALLY WELL FIRST!!! otherwise that's going to be a 65.00 car wash!! (Or stick an old one in the hole while washing)

It takes about 2 minutes to change it out...so i'm saving the dead one and when I go to finish cleaning the engine / engine compartment i'll stick the old on in, also cover the TPS,( I DID cover that up when I washed the motor) do my business then stick the new CPS back in.

So...if you wash your motor down and it won't start, whip out the wallet pull out 65 bucks and go buy a CPS.....sorry, but that's how it is..LOL

Anyways, hope this helps someone out.

COVER THE CPS AND TPS WHEN YOU WASH THE MOTOR!!!

And again....greetings everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
I too learned the hard way, as this was my first distributor-less vehicle that i ever attempted an engine cleaning on. But I only took out one coil pack. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard CT!

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK, I'm gonna have to find these on my V6...I wash the motor a couple times a year but have had no issues to date (2.5LV6). Lo pressure hose in the driveway at home, though. I do have a nice nozzle, though, especially useful on the underside after rides!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Covering the valve cover with a raincoat, I always do that! Rust attack!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you post a link to the Camshaft Position Sensor that you purchased for $60 please. I see them for $100+ and I may need one to fix a misfiring in cylinder 2, 4,6 on my 2000 GV 2.5L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts