Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very familiar with these cars but my best friend owns a 2004 Suzuki Forenza. About two days ago his daytime running lights went on but seem to be fine, then today the check engine light came on. Does anyone know what could be causing this? any ideas/solutions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
ive got the 04 4 door sedan, and are you talking about when you crank it on. if you are, my air bag, and check engine light come on, but shut off once it has idle'd for a couple seconds. i find it to be normal. (car salesman said it was normal but if it remains on, i would say have it checked out, auto zone or checker/shuks/kragen could hook it up to the computer they have and find out whats going on, if there is anything wrong. shouldnt cost much...

Originally posted by Sadie@Aug 4 2004, 02:23 PM
I am not very familiar with these cars but my best friend owns a 2004 Suzuki Forenza. About two days ago his daytime running lights went on but seem to be fine, then today the check engine light came on. Does anyone know what could be causing this? any ideas/solutions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..for ur reply but my proble is not solved, it is as such as it was earlier...what should i do??.....i'm more confused now...plz help....

Originally posted by maxy@Aug 10 2004, 04:42 AM
ive got the 04 4 door sedan, and are you talking about when you crank it on. if you are, my air bag, and check engine light come on, but shut off once it has idle'd for a couple seconds. i find it to be normal. (car salesman said it was normal but if it remains on, i would say have it checked out, auto zone or checker/shuks/kragen could hook it up to the computer they have and find out whats going on, if there is anything wrong. shouldnt cost much...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Try checking the fuses(located in drivers side foot well on the left near door panel). Get a test light from an Auto Parts store and check the fuses labeled Daytime Running Lamps. Check all of the connected fuses as well. You may run into the problem there, then just replace the fuse. If this does not help. Make sure the gas cap is on securely, this can trigger a check engine light. Has the car been previously serviced? Any accidents? Oil changes? SOmetimes if the oil cap is not fastened correctly the check engine light will pop up on you. If this solves nothing take it to the dealer and have them run a Diagnostic.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Crazy hu how far we have gotten from this to know why the check engoine light comes on

no new info but kinda cool almost two years later

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah, I'd check the gas cap. Don't see how you're relating a check engine light to the Daytime Running Lights.. o_O

I've unplugged my DRLs altogether and I get no CEL. So have several members on the forum. One did have a CEL, then plugged the lights back in, it went away, unplugged the lights again and it was fine.

And yeah, we've come a LONG way in even the past year. This site has blown up somethin fierce. Oh and WELCOME Sadie!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
masterbiscuit said:
Yeah, I'd check the gas cap. Don't see how you're relating a check engine light to the Daytime Running Lights.. o_O

I've unplugged my DRLs altogether and I get no CEL. So have several members on the forum. One did have a CEL, then plugged the lights back in, it went away, unplugged the lights again and it was fine.

And yeah, we've come a LONG way in even the past year. This site has blown up somethin fierce. Oh and WELCOME Sadie!
Welcome!
I concure with Master. The DTRL lights unrelated.
The reason you check your gas cap is tight is this: Your car is smart eough to know that if you loose or can not retain pressure in the tank, theres a leak. Thinking theres a leak in the fuel system, it gives you this light. Tighten the cap, and drive, It goes away.
If it dosn't go away, remember, the forenza has a warrenty that lasts 7 years on the power trail, and 5 bumper to bumper. Use it

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wait. First. Does the (D)aytime (R)unning (L)ight dash light come on when the car's emergency brake is released? If so, that's normal. The DRL light always comes on while the E-brake is released, and shuts off when the headlights are activated. This is normal, and not a warning light.

With the check engine light, I'll agree with the others in that the easiest thing to check first is the gas cap. Other reasons for the light:

- wet electrical connectors (wait until dry)
- poor fuel quality causing stalling conditions, misfiring, hesitation, or stumbling when started cold.
- sensor malfunction that requires a diagnostic test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts