Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SX4, I just hit 37,000 miles and my little engine light came on yesterday. I went to Auto Zone and they said the code was P2A01. He said I need to replace my O2 sensor. Is the correct, or could I have just put some bad gas in my car?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a 2007 SX4, I just hit 37,000 miles and my little engine light came on yesterday. I went to Auto Zone and they said the code was P2A01. He said I need to replace my O2 sensor. Is the correct, or could I have just put some bad gas in my car?
have you recently had an oil change?
if so, its likely that oil leaked onto the sensor when the filter was changed.
suzuki put out a tsb to cover the that o2 sensor when performing oil changes

the oil apparently gets into the vent and damaged the sensor.
try clearing the code and see if it comes back right away..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, yes, I did just get my oil changed. I had it done when I purchased new tires. (which was not at a dealership) I will have my husband check it tonight, I was going to have him check for a loose sensor wire, I will add this too.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thanks for the information, yes, I did just get my oil changed. I had it done when I purchased new tires. (which was not at a dealership) I will have my husband check it tonight, I was going to have him check for a loose sensor wire, I will add this too.
If it happens right after the oil change this is the cause most likely. The sensor isn't damaged - normally once the code is cleared it won't come back until next oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I had my oil changed on Wednesday, left for a trip on Thursday. I drove over 700 miles. After I arrived home it came on the next day. My husband looked at the wires and they looked fine. He found some oil residue on the sensor by the filter. He wiped it clean, and then disconnected the battery. When he reconnected the battery, the light was still on. Do I have to take it to a store to have them reset the sensor or take the negative cable off (if the cable how long?)

If it is the o2 sensor, where can we get information on which one it is?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Open your hood and look down into the engine cavity.
See the aluminum heat shield on the front of the engine?
The O2 sensor is down on the right side of that heat shield, screwed into the exhaust pipe. It looks just like a spark plug with wires coming out of it.

Both the oil filler cap and filter are on the opposite side of the engine. Only the worse mechanic in the world, would ever slop oil on that sensor.
I can't even imagine how that would ever happen.
Even I'm not that big of a Klutz.;)

I've had my oil changed twice so far, , both times at the Suzuki dealer and have had NO problem with my Check Engine light, or any light coming on.

O2 sensors are good for about 60,000 miles. After that they begin to drift out of calibration, due to contaminants in the gasoline. They will cause the engine to run richer and richer as they continue to age.
Contaminated gas can cause premature failure of an O2 sensor.

A black sooty deposit in your tail pipe will tell you the engine is running rich.
I always change my O2 sensors by 60k just for safety, and for the best efficiency of the engine. Today, gasoline is too expensive to be just blowing it out your tail pipe.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Both the oil filler cap and filter are on the opposite side of the engine. Only the worse mechanic in the world, would ever slop oil on that sensor.
I can't even imagine how that would ever happen.
Even I'm not that big of a Klutz.;)

2007 was the only year the had the o2 sensor directly under the oil filter.
in 2008 they moved it further back for that reason..

as mentioned before, try cleaning it and disconnect battery for at least a minute and cross your fingers..

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Whew, LL, I'm sure glad you shed some light on that subject.
I wonder how many other improvements have been made since 2007?

The O2 sensor is now in a very good place, to stay clean and to be easy to change. Congrat's, Suzuki!

I was in a tool store just a few days ago and saw they had a O2 sensor socket wrench for sale. I think I'm going to get one, just for the hellofit.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yeah the sensor is in a good spot now, but if you have an AWD they put the connector right between the engine and transfer case. real tight spot to reach!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
On my 2009 SX4 AWD, Crossover......the connector for the O2 sensor is just under the right side of the air box, sticking out there like a red nose on a wino.
But, it's not RED, It's GREEN! Very easy to get hands on.;)
That's the upper one. So far, I've never seen the lower one.

Do you know if the two sensors are the same, even though they are called by different names, according to their use.

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
thats the upstream o2 right?
try looking for the downstream one..
unless they moved that too for '09..

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hmmmm! According to the service manual, you're right, there is a 'downstream' sensor, on the opposite side of the exhaust collector. In the manual the upstream sensor is not even called an O2 Sensor. I think they call it an "A/F Sensor. Whatever that means. :D:D:D
Here's the pic from the Service manual.

5 is the upper sensor and 8 is the lower sensor.

I probably could have seen the lower sensor when I had the fan and heat shield out, but I wasn't looking for it. Next time!

Can you tell me one thing..........are the two sensors the same?
Three wire or four wire?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the upstream is called an air/fuel sensor, it works different but does pretty much the same job.
the picture you show is the '07 location, yours will be a little further back..

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
SX4 switches off

Hi,

I have an SX4 2008 Model and recently the battery had died with the car security system set. Right upon installation of the new battery, the security system triggered and it refused to shut off. Wish assistance of the service station, I was able to resolve that.

However now my car just switches off randomly on its own. This didnt happen before. The dashboard shows the engine immobilizer and power steering light and then the other lights light up.

The service station says that I have to replace the entire car security system which costs a fortune. Any advice what I can try out as the car has become totally unpredictable and stops at anytime.

·
Registered
826 Posts
... The dashboard shows the engine immobilizer and power steering light ....
UNless I did not see it, I do not have a power steering light....is yours an electric power steering? WHere do you live ? In america we have hydraulic power steering contrary to what we see in the service manuals.....
And give more details of your car. 2WD or AWD, sedan or hathback..., engine type (if not the gas 2liter we have here).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
That's the very reason, why it's so important to put your location and car specs in your Control Panel, so we don't have to ask you 20 questions over and over again.
It only takes you a minute to fill in those blanks. Eh?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would have been appreciated if you could have replied to my query rather than push your weight around. I am new to this forum and wasn't aware of that. I replied to LMP's question in what like 14 hours. Hope that was sufficient enough to prove that i am following this thread.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Given lack of experience with that problem, I have extracted this part of the shop manual that relates to your model. Hope it can help....
www.avigex.ca/sx4/electronics.pdf

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I don't see anyone pushing their weight around and I see you still refuse to put your location and car specs in your control panel.

For the five years I've been on this forum, I've seen one person or another, usually a moderator, ask people to do the very same thing.
It's only common courtesy on any car forum.

Sorry you don't approve. I certainly won't try to assist you again, with an attitude like yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts