Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey,
I'm replacing all the lights in my dash and doors with blue LEDs and i was wondering if anyone knows what size of bulbs i'd need. 3mm, 5mm? has anyone done this before? my gf has instructions from newcougar.org to do it on her Cougar, so i was just going to wing it on my '06 Chevy Optra5, but if you've done it before give me some pointers!
Cheers

·
Registered
582 Posts
dtx said:
Hey hey,
I'm replacing all the lights in my dash and doors with blue LEDs and i was wondering if anyone knows what size of bulbs i'd need. 3mm, 5mm? has anyone done this before? my gf has instructions from newcougar.org to do it on her Cougar, so i was just going to wing it on my '06 Chevy Optra5, but if you've done it before give me some pointers!
Cheers
cool.. Although i cant help you here.. i would like to know the same thing.. because my reno is red.. i would like to make my lights red...hehe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car's red too, but i've seen red LEDs in dashes, and i'm not a big fan. my stereo's deck is red and blue lights, so i think blue LEDs in the dash would suit it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
foserius said:
what do u mean, "in the dash" like in the vents? under the dash? or like the actual gauge's lights?
He is talking about the actual back lighting that you see when the car lights are on a night.. the lighting that lights up the dash where all your gauges and such are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly. the cluster lights and HVAC lights, as well as the power window toggles and the flashing red light by the driver side lock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yeah Ive seen write ups in the mustang forums on that. looks like the hard part is just getting to the little buggers. but the actual swtiching out is fairly easy. and take care to get ultrabrights blue or teal are the only ones that are easily seen in daylight.glare. but if you are only doing for gauges also consider a gradule colour change or even red at the red line. have fun that dash is a pain to take out
not the whole dash but enough to make you curse in the driveway

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, day time light isn't an issue, the sun does well on it's own, and i'm still tryin' to decide what to do with the red line.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was actually referring to any displays that are illuminated and are only visible by that illumination example: changing the led backlighting in the stereo display or the passenger airbag off display or the idiot lights in dash
all these are run by backlighting and if a poor color were chosen and combo'd without a super-bright led you may find viewing them difficult.

as for replacing the leds in the stereo I've seen work-logs on it though I've never wanted to f with that many tiny screws to get to it. just incase someone says cant be done. its amazing what some are brave enough to crack open to see what can be done. I've taken apart factory radios to fix cd player and thought that was bad ass stuff. doesn't come close to what this guy did. because for me it was take apart clean thoroughly and in-spite of coolness once he got to the leds it was just a swap and solder job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have an aftermark CD deck already, and that passenger air bag light is on pretty much all the time, it rarely senses when i have a passenger, so it's not an issue either. I'll work out the bugs as they happen though. good point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts