Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...

Here are the facts: I have an '06 Reno, Pioneer 250W RMS (800 max) amp pushing a Pioneer 10" that can handle 250W RMS. It's wired with a 1400W kit (5ga), and I have a swap-meet power cap that says it's rated at 1.5 farad (but I doubt it actually is). Most of the time, everything is completely stable; my amp never cuts out or clips during normal use. However, when I play a song with heavy bass and have the volume & bass turned up, my tachometer dances a bit when I'm at idle (sitting at a red light). My car usually idles at around 900rpm, the most extreme fluctuations I've seen will take it down to around 700rpm. None of my other gauges move with the bass.

If anyone is familiar with this issue, I have a couple questions:
- Is the movement in my tach caused by an actual reduction in engine rpms, or is it just caused by excess electrical draw messing with the gauge's readout?
- If my system is actually reducing my engine's rpms, can that damage anything?
- What is the best way to eliminate this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
418 Posts
i have that same problem some times in my 07 reno but im using the kicker zx1000.1 and a kicker 15inch cvx wired at 2ohms, the amp pushes 1000watts rms at 2ohms i have no cap but is used zero gauge wires the gain on the amp is only 1/4 of the way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check your ground

Make sure the amp and cap ground are good grounds, you may be having an electrical surge, when heavy bass hits. Find a bolt that goes into the frame, my Forenza has one in the trunk, I am not familiar with the Reno, but if you can find a bolt that goes through the body into the frame, sand the paint down to the bare metal and use that as a ground. Try this and PM me if you need any more help. Also make sure the amp and cap ground are the same place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts