Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally gotten my Samurai straightened out and going well enough, been daily driving it for months as well as wheeling. Still some bugs but quite happy overall. Problem is the 1.6 16v is no longer serviceable for daily use.

I have 3 choices that I can see

1. Rebuild the 16v, which was ok on flat land but had a rough time going up hills or fighting headwinds. My commute home involves 2 fairly nasty hills so leaning towards choices 2 or 3

2. Replace entirely with the VW turbo diesel 1.6TD or 1.9TD (not TDI). I hear in stock trim they are pretty short winded at highway speeds but also hear when turned up a little they are very streetable. The 1.6 was barely adequate in this area, barely.

3. VW 1.8T or 2.0T. I know they are a little softer low end but with my gearing it should be doable off road and I know HP would be tunable and adequate for highway use as well as rocks.

I thought about a Datsun and Rotary but ruled out for various reasons. If I'm going to the expense of switching out engines I would really like to gain a turbo. I'm biased towards diesel but I need to hear from someone who is successfully using one on the pavement and what needed to be done to make it able to maintain highway speeds.

Availability of VW diesel engines has me considering a gas VW simply because I may be able to actually find one.

I would love to hear from ANYONE rolling on the pavement with a VW mill of any kind. My searches got me so much scrambled crap that I'm hoping folks here have some first hand experience.

I have read up on the VW install and ACME kit needed, cool with that, keeping the Samurai trans/drive train.

Thank you!

Tony

PS--- I will be selling off the 16v engine (needs gone over), thorley header, ECU, wiring, all adapters/mounts and brand new exhaust with magnaflow cat and muffler B)

·
Registered
551 Posts
1.8t/2.0t:

You mention that the turbo gas vw have weak low ranges. Compared to what? If they can pull along the fat butts of Audi a4's adequately then they'd have absolutely no issue with a samurai.

They'd probably be a handful in the samurai.

They put down some good power for their sizes. You'd be jumping from 95 horses to a minimum of 140 on the peaks of the power bands, different trims also put down more power again up to the 200+ marks. I don't know the exact figures of the low range power but they pull ALOT harder than my working 1600 escudo in a vehicle much heavier than it.

1.6TD/1.9TD

These two in every trim would be down on power from a good working G16 1600 16v.

You'd also possibly need to re gear considering that they would run at the same rpm as your 1600 does now. Take your current daily drive and see what rpm you sit at most of the time. Consider that every engine you swap in will turn at the same rpm and the same speeds in the same gear.

The upside is a few folks have swapped 1.9 vw diesels in and there is a little information around about the swap plus the pros and cons.

Current engine:

Why is it sick? Have you diagnosed the problem yet? They aren't power houses (95 horses at peak) and they will struggle in steep hills. Diagnosing a problem can be free to a couple of bucks or even a beer. And can save you a swap or an uneducated decision.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.8T/2.0T
There are so many ways to tune a VW Turbo that I'm comfortable with the fact that it will work. 140hp is actually plenty for me on street or the rocks. I know that the 1.8T has plenty more potential than that if needed. I dont want an excess of HP as it can only stand to tear stuff up. I know I can tailor it to work but I have read a couple posts somewhere that noted very soft low end performance. Grain of salt there of course but I'm still all ears if someone is actually rolling one of these. A little tricky to find but if I find one tomorrow I'll buy it.

1.6/1.9TD
So much contradiction out there. I have heard that they peter out at around 3k with the stock governer in place and turned up they hapilly turn nearly 5k but I dont know first hand. Had a friend a while back with an old school diesel Jetta with some tweaks and it was surprising to say the least. I lean toward diesel for longevity, economy and simplicity.....and I just like diesels.

Current Zuk 16v
Had low compression on a couple pots. Attempted a bump start after trouble with clicky-fix relay. Key was on for a few moments before a couple failed attempts, engine acted frozen so we stopped. A faulty injector filled up a cyl with raw fuel and our start attempts actually hydrolocked it. Got it home and dried out, restarts with a pronounced throaty tap from the block. I knew it was coming out at some point but was hoping to put it off until spring. I will change now just to make dirvability and acceleration a bit less taxing.

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts