Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 samurai and after i got it, i decided to do a regular tune-up. the spark plugs came out easy but the last plug took the threads out with it. I've tried JB weld, helicoils, then a JB welded helicoil. the plug came out again today. now what??

·
Registered
74 Posts
DANG!! I just bought an '88 so this thread I'll be watching! I pulled the #1 plug to check and saw it's pretty old. I figured on replacing them all soon but now I'm hesitant and curious if your's is an isolated problem or common.

Phil

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 88.5 1.3L had problems with one plug backing it self out to a point where it even blew itself right out of the hole!:eek: I've since put a 1.6L in so I never could figure out why it would loosen off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your going to have to replace the head. If you have access to a machine shop and some patience you could machine an insert out of the same alloy as the original alloy. Thermally press it in and tap it to the spark plug tread. Thats a lot of work it would be easier to replace the head as you going to have to take out anyway. In the future a little engine oil on the treads would prevent the galling that caused the issue in the first place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just put another head on yesterday and then set the timing today, it runs good but i think its maybe 1 tooth off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts