Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I need help again.

Lately my carry has been flooding its cylinders... or carb...... usedto run fine.... plugs are all covered in sooth...

Here's what ive done. I was suspecting i was running rich, checked plugs, were brownish, so i tought it was doing fine. A week earlier i resetted the valve lash and cleaned the carb...
When i cleaned the carb.. i opened it and just cleaned the inside... removed one of the jets and just returnd it back. There's no problem with the float or the needle (or so what i thought). Put back up the carb, adjusted the idle speed and everything were running fine.

Then last week, i replaced the plugs with bosch sparkplugs... then it started flooding.... in the mornings, it would start up and die.... by flooring the gas pedal i eventually could make it start again. Then all would be fine for the day... then suddenly... it would die while on the road. Also, I notice there's a power loss. It ain't running as good as it used to.. recently i checked the plugs and they were all covered in soot...

I changed the plugs aga:in thinking that the plugs werent the right one for the engine (f5a) with the recommnded ones per manual (ngk es5... cant really remember) However, it hasnt solved the problem... still the plugs are fouled, seem to be flooding the cylinders and now, it wouldn't even idle for 20 Seconds.

Could it be the carb... float needle not working fine? checked it a few hours ago an there weren't anything blocking the needle or the hole it's placed. it was seeting correctly, though im not sure if it's sealing good.

Been working on this for two days already and it,s seems to be just getting worse...

Hoping for salvation.... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey everyone.

I need help again.

Lately my carry has been flooding its cylinders... or carb...... usedto run fine.... plugs are all covered in sooth...

Here's what ive done. I was suspecting i was running rich, checked plugs, were brownish, so i tought it was doing fine. A week earlier i resetted the valve lash and cleaned the carb...
When i cleaned the carb.. i opened it and just cleaned the inside... removed one of the jets and just returnd it back. There's no problem with the float or the needle (or so what i thought). Put back up the carb, adjusted the idle speed and everything were running fine.

Then last week, i replaced the plugs with bosch sparkplugs... then it started flooding.... in the mornings, it would start up and die.... by flooring the gas pedal i eventually could make it start again. Then all would be fine for the day... then suddenly... it would die while on the road. Also, I notice there's a power loss. It ain't running as good as it used to.. recently i checked the plugs and they were all covered in soot...

I changed the plugs aga:in thinking that the plugs werent the right one for the engine (f5a) with the recommnded ones per manual (ngk es5... cant really remember) However, it hasnt solved the problem... still the plugs are fouled, seem to be flooding the cylinders and now, it wouldn't even idle for 20 Seconds.

Could it be the carb... float needle not working fine? checked it a few hours ago an there weren't anything blocking the needle or the hole it's placed. it was seeting correctly, though im not sure if it's sealing good.

Been working on this for two days already and it,s seems to be just getting worse...

Hoping for salvation.... :)
Good day Sir;

Sounds like you may have a choke blade not opening/sticking.

Normal operation is, on a cold motor, after pumping the gas pedal 1-2 times the choke blade should close or near close. Start the motor..the choke blade should open by a small amount by ways of a vacuum diagram or other mechanical device depending on the style of carb you have installed. As the motor warms up the choke blade will slowly open allowing you idle to also come down to normal after the motor if fully warmed up.

You may also have the design of carb that is much like what you may see on a motorcycle. That has no choke blade. That one uses a enrichment rod. That one is more difficult to describe here. But it is more or less like a valve (rod) that opens to allow more fuel (enrichment) on cold start and closes after warm.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kernel panic

i have checked the choke lever and it opens up as the engine warms up.. i even hooked it up to make it stay open all the time...

recently i adjusted the float lever height by bending the float. the needle may not be seating tight when the float pushes it up to close the inlet hole. it run fine the last time i checked but ran out of gas... will be checking again this weekend...

have some question..... if the fuel return line is clogged.. would it be a cause for flooding the cylinders?

thanks for the replies...

@ kamote09... not that i dont trust the mechanis here.. i just think i can solve this on my own.. hehehe...

·
Registered
60 Posts
kernel panic

i have checked the choke lever and it opens up as the engine warms up.. i even hooked it up to make it stay open all the time...

recently i adjusted the float lever height by bending the float. the needle may not be seating tight when the float pushes it up to close the inlet hole. it run fine the last time i checked but ran out of gas... will be checking again this weekend...

have some question..... if the fuel return line is clogged.. would it be a cause for flooding the cylinders?

thanks for the replies...

@ kamote09... not that i dont trust the mechanis here.. i just think i can solve this on my own.. hehehe...
Yes Sir a clogged return could cause this. If there is too much pressure in the inlet side it may have so much pressure that it could lift the needle off it's seat and over fill the bowl. To be honest, this is unlikely. But still "could" happen none the less.

I think you may have found your own answer here. Leaking inlet needle.
Make 100% sure you have the float level set correctly. Even a small amount to high will cause a rich running motor and waste of fuel, too low will be lean and could cause poor running and even overheating in a extreme case.
Very small amounts can be adjusted out using the mixture screw.

Glad you checked the choke issue. A logical place to start.

Take care, hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
once again, thank you kernel panic.

i will update you in my progress once i get the time to check my truck again...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mr kernelpanic.. do you have a specification of the float height... i cant see to it it anywhere... i have a mikuni carb... with no other specific details... the truck is a suzuki every da71t...
thnx again

·
Registered
60 Posts
mr kernelpanic.. do you have a specification of the float height... i cant see to it it anywhere... i have a mikuni carb... with no other specific details... the truck is a suzuki every da71t...
thnx again
Sorry Sir, I do not. the spec changes from carb model to model.

The general rule would be .. holding the carb inverted with bowl removed the float should be as level as you can make it in relation to the bowl flange, where the seal or gasket goes. Using a small "T" square helps with this. If you buy a carb repair kit, a small square is in many cases supplied with the kit along with the specs for your model of carb.

If it is not level.. just bend the tab that touches the needle slightly up or down to make it as level as you can.
Reinstall the carb, and test. With your mixture screw set at aprox 1-1.25 turns open, try it out.
if you only need to adj the mixture screw around 1/2 (aprox) turn in ether direction rich or lean. Or none at all.. You got it right.

If you need to turn the screw let's say a full turn each way, there is a issue

Hope this is of some help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still no luck sir kernelpanic...

tried to run it a while a go.. and it run fine at first.. but a few minutes later, it stumbled and died out again... cylinder flooded again...

i think im giving up on this... i dont know what to do anymore.. i'll try to bring my carb to a mechanic.. perhaps i just missing something or i just aint doing it right...

i sure hope i could still revive this truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was able to solve the flooding issue. It was indeed the needle not seating right. I readjusted the float lever and voila, no more flooding.

However, i have a new issue. Te pump cant seem to suck fuel up from the tank. I already checked the supply an return lines and found no clog. Checked the pump also and was spitting enough gas. If i connect the fuel line to a can rather than the fuel tank, it would run great. However, when i hook it up again to the fuel rail connected to the fuel tank, no fuel woud come up. Im sure the fuel filter is working as it was connected was i used the can.
tried sucking fuel from the tank to no avail... just seem to be sucking vapors.

i had no problem of this sort before the flooding issue...
i did change some fuel lines from the supply line rail to the pump... been working fine before...
i just couldn't figure out why it cant suck fuel up....

Any idea why fuel wont be sucked up?

i'd really really appreciate any help....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was able to solve the flooding issue. It was indeed the needle not seating right. I readjusted the float lever and voila, no more flooding.

However, i have a new issue. Te pump cant seem to suck fuel up from the tank. I already checked the supply an return lines and found no clog. Checked the pump also and was spitting enough gas. If i connect the fuel line to a can rather than the fuel tank, it would run great. However, when i hook it up again to the fuel rail connected to the fuel tank, no fuel woud come up. Im sure the fuel filter is working as it was connected was i used the can.
tried sucking fuel from the tank to no avail... just seem to be sucking vapors.

i had no problem of this sort before the flooding issue...
i did change some fuel lines from the supply line rail to the pump... been working fine before...
i just couldn't figure out why it cant suck fuel up....

Any idea why fuel wont be sucked up?

i'd really really appreciate any help....
Glad you seem to have solved the OE problem and shared your findings. That helps all.

From your description, it sounds like the pick-up or also called a dip tube may have rusted off or somehow broken off. It is a small tube that extends down to the bottom of your fuel tank with a strainer on the end. They are small and thin and I have seen them rust off. Rare but does happen. It is more common on the EFI models as the pump is on the end of the tube suspended in the fuel. With the extra weight of the pump it tends to break them off.

As you said, if you suck on the hose and you get nothing, then the tube is not in the fuel.
Why is the question. Remove the large round plug on the fuel tank to remove the fuel level sending unit and you should find your answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you seem to have solved the OE problem and shared your findings. That helps all.

From your description, it sounds like the pick-up or also called a dip tube may have rusted off or somehow broken off. It is a small tube that extends down to the bottom of your fuel tank with a strainer on the end. They are small and thin and I have seen them rust off. Rare but does happen. It is more common on the EFI models as the pump is on the end of the tube suspended in the fuel. With the extra weight of the pump it tends to break them off.

As you said, if you suck on the hose and you get nothing, then the tube is not in the fuel.
Why is the question. Remove the large round plug on the fuel tank to remove the fuel level sending unit and you should find your answer.

i have already done that... but nothing seemed loose inside the tank... perhaps it might just be running too low on fuel.. i'll try to put a gallon more and see if it suck it up....

granting the dip tube went off.. how am i gonna fix that.. it seems my hand wont fit in the whole on top of the tank where the float and sender is attached.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have already done that... but nothing seemed loose inside the tank... perhaps it might just be running too low on fuel.. i'll try to put a gallon more and see if it suck it up....

granting the dip tube went off.. how am i gonna fix that.. it seems my hand wont fit in the whole on top of the tank where the float and sender is attached.
Yes, sure could be just that low on fuel.
But the fuel sender/float assy should lift out of the tank. The pick-up tube is part of that assy. Repairs (if any)can be done on the bench. It is a small dia tube, around 1/8 dia.
It should have a small screen on the end that is in the fuel. It could be that it is gone?? rusted away or blown off by too much air pressure ? I am guessing here.

As far as repair, sure it would be easy to solder in a new section of tube to get it to the bottom of the tank. If you solder, just make sure it is 100% sealed or it will suck in air when the tank is low. A junk shop may have a replacement assy. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, sure could be just that low on fuel.
But the fuel sender/float assy should lift out of the tank. The pick-up tube is part of that assy. Repairs (if any)can be done on the bench. It is a small dia tube, around 1/8 dia.
It should have a small screen on the end that is in the fuel. It could be that it is gone?? rusted away or blown off by too much air pressure ? I am guessing here.

As far as repair, sure it would be easy to solder in a new section of tube to get it to the bottom of the tank. If you solder, just make sure it is 100% sealed or it will suck in air when the tank is low. A junk shop may have a replacement assy. Just a thought.

k. will try to do that too.... however i have already remove the sender, the one with the float attached? and i hound none of the tube you're referring too... i was thinking it was just attached to the tank fro the tube protruding on top of the tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
k. will try to do that too.... however i have already remove the sender, the one with the float attached? and i hound none of the tube you're referring too... i was thinking it was just attached to the tank fro the tube protruding on top of the tank.
You sure you could be right about that. Simple solution would be just follow the pump inlet (suction) hose back to the tank. Then you would know for sure where the inlet is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got it running this weekend.. it seemed the fuel was just too low... i did not replace anything.. just added some more fuel....

however, after taking it for a long ride.. the plugs are a bit black with soot again... i'm guessing the airfilter is hindering the air flow... causing a little bit rich mix. i remember i had it starting getting rich when i replaced the air filter.

is there any good mods or filter replacements..
i had mine new and fresh out of the box.. but it's blocking air too much.. i guess...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts