Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 sx4 with 95,000 miles, I have been looking in the sx4 manual for information about CVT fluid change but no data is available. I have talked with a few mechanics but they said is not posible to replace the fluid due to the high millage. Is this true? or the manual is highly unrealistic about not putting a interval change?

thanks for your answers!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
THe user manual does suggest (page 7-5 to 7-10 in the 2011 manual) to verify (inspect) level and condition of the CVT fluid, at 30000miles intervals,(15k miles in severe driving conditions) ...and replace if necessary. THere is no compulsary R (replace) suggested after any interval.
I do not see why it could not be changed after "too long".

NOw, knowing that this CVT is a JATCO product, in fact a division of Nissan, here is what I got from a Nissan forum:

Below are facts and research directly from the 2008-2009 Nissan Service Manuals.

Please Note: It all depends on how you drive/push your car. Most normal average daily commuters wait until 60K to replace their CVT fluids. Now those who push it every single day...30K would be a good start. Push meaning "Pedal to the Metal". But before doing anything you should always check your fluid before changing it. This will give a more accurate answer if you need to replace it. Some people don't even bother checking and just have it changed anyway. Its not that difficult.

Determine CVT Fluid Health: How To Check Your CVT Transmission Fluid Health?

These are all Nissan Recommended Service Intervals. Always check your fluids current health before moving forward.

30,000 MILES OR 24 MONTHS
-Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid

60,000 MILES OR 48 MONTHS

90,000 MILES OR 72 MONTHS

120,000 MILES OR 96 MONTHS

Final Verdict: Well there you have it. According to the Nissan Service Manuals it is recommended you replace your CVT Transmission fluid at those intervals via a Drain/Refill.

If you notice at every interval (30K, 60K, 90K and 120K), it indicates that a Flush is optional. What is basically means that “its not recommend”. If it was, it would actually tell you to replace like it did at service interval 60K. Most dealers will tell you that you need a flush because obviously it generates more $$$ but in reality all you need is a simple drain and refill. I hope this information helps everyone.

Read more: http://my6thgen.org/f7/when-should-i-drain-refill-flush-my-cvt-transmission-3153/#ixzz4VvWxsncu

·
Registered
1 Posts
SX4 CVT Transmission Fluid Flush Recommendation

I have a 2011 SX4 with CVT transmission with just over 60,000 miles. The local factory authorized service provider said Suzuki does not recommend changing the CVT fluid unless you are having transmission problems. He said they make this recommendation because the CVT is so sensitive that any tinkering might cause more problems than it prevents. Has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
853 Posts
...does not recommend changing the CVT fluid unless you are having transmission problems...
Then isn't that a little too late ? I think their recommensation to VERIFY at specific intervals is valid. But they (suzuki) tells it requires a special analyzing utility....unless the detrimental condition is obvious and, again, it is too late....
ON the other hand, Nissan (JATCO) sees no problem making a preventive fluid change.
Mine (...ehhh...wife's) is such at a low mileage that I cannot see any concern, specially since it is so rarely...in fact..never, floored and then the CVT is not stressed at all. ANd I do not see why 24 months almost sitting idle has a detrimental effect on the CVT fluid....so the "time" factor is, IMO, overkill.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Then isn't that a little too late ? I think their recommensation to VERIFY at specific intervals is valid. But they (suzuki) tells it requires a special analyzing utility....unless the detrimental condition is obvious and, again, it is too late....
ON the other hand, Nissan (JATCO) sees no problem making a preventive fluid change.
Mine (...ehhh...wife's) is such at a low mileage that I cannot see any concern, specially since it is so rarely...in fact..never, floored and then the CVT is not stressed at all. ANd I do not see why 24 months almost sitting idle has a detrimental effect on the CVT fluid....so the "time" factor is, IMO, overkill.

oil will, and does, degrade over time. Exposure to air and clutch linings contaminates the fluid, leading to degredation.

as for the fluid changes, some CVT's seem to be very picky on fluid, both in level, and manufacturer. I have had one that a difference of 120 ml made it work vs not work. If its running fine, and the manufacturer says leave it alone, then i would leave it alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Down here, the guys who service Nissan's don't even know (or refuse to acknowledge) that SX4's came with a JATCO CVT.

I've read over the Kizashi Forum that CVT's came with 2 filters: one in the pan and one on the return line housing. Since I believe that both the SX4 and the Kizashi use the same JATCO tranny (please correct me on this), has anybody changed those? And if so, what would their part numbers be (either OEM or aftermarket)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
On a related note, what do you replace/refill it with?

The manual (2010 SX4) says “Use a CVT fluid SUZUKI CVT FLUID GREEN-1 or She’ll GREEN-1V.” AFAIK, neither is available for purchase in the US.

Is there a compatible fluid to top up with, or do I need to flush and fill with a different, more available CVT fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Mitsu Mirage G4 with a CVT. Recommend fluid flush every 30,000 miles.
I used AmsOil synthetic CVT fluid. It tested much higher than all other CVT fluids and it costs a lot less.
My gas mileage actually jumped 2-3 mpg after the fluid change. Quite amazing actually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts