Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK , i have this posted in another forum , which appears to now be dead ( Suzuki4U )

So this was the second time the outer CV boots have torn since owning the ( 2004 alto ) car in 2013. Now admittedly I had been lazy the first time around and got those stretch boots to fit over the CV , about two years ago , which are known to tare due to elasticity - Which I have found this weekend

So instead this time around I got some non stretch versions and went about removing the first drive drive shaft , cutting off the old boot and cleaning it up . ( Drivers Offside - UK ) . All pretty easy to do ( I could post a guide later maybe?) .

Now here comes the hard part - The outer CV joint was to be removed , (in order to slide the new boot over the shaft) , however it took me about 1 hour of whacking with ( gradually heavier hammers ) hammers , starting with a rubber one .

I had the drive shaft ( Offside/ Drivers UK ) put into a vice and continued to hit . Now I have heard from mechanics that a one to a few hits should release it . However as hitting it gently was not getting me results , I had resorted to a heavy 2 lb iron club hammer, even then it was not coming off . Finally I decided that I would probably need to replace the whole CV joint anyway , so I hit it with all my might and BAM it comes off :roll:

Unfortunately the drive cog which holds the bearings had fractured and pieces of it came off , so I will need to replace that.
[/URL][/img]

I did find a replacement CV bearing on India Ebay to ship to UK SUZUKI SJ413 SJ410 CV JOINT OUTER BALL BEARING WITH RACE CAGE & DRIVE COG SIERRA | eBay

Question is : should it have been that difficult to remove the Outer CV joint ? What other way is there to remove it ? Should I have removed the snap ring on the CV spline first , if so how ? I cant honestly see how the snap-ring mates with the CV joint or makes difference when removing . looking closely at the outer Driveshaft spline ( see pictured , cv joint removed ) there is a groove for a snap-ring , however this is on the inside of the spline which suggests it is there to keep the CV Drive cog from moving up onto the inside?

[/URL][/img]

What's more the manual shows a Circlip on the the end of the spline , which :
For one you cannot access due to the CV cup covering it
Secondly there appears to be no other groove

See here

[/URL][/IMG]

Where else can I get CV joint bearings ? I did not want to wait two weeks for delivery

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Those instructions are for the gearbox end of the shaft.
Your pic look the wheel end that Suzuki often say to replace the shaft complete.
However they can be hammered apart and replaced.
I would assume when changing just the boots that both slide on from the gearbox end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you not use something like this for the outer CV joint :confused:

SUZUKI ALTO 1.1 ABS CV JOINT (BRAND NEW) 03 ONWARDS | eBay

Yeah it definitely appears to be the CV joint outer cup , I have asked them if the bearing is included , still awaiting for a reply . Even with this part however there appears to be no snap ring . There is no outer spline groove for a snap ring to fit

Manual shows removal of the cv outer cup I think ? But it appears the CV bearing is still in place some how as shown here . When I removed the outer cup the whole bearing came with it . Even then it was a challenge getting the bearing out

I am questioning if the bearing is supposed to come out of the outer CV cup , or if it is sold as a complete part . Manual suggests the cup comes off and the bearings stay on the spline -
[/URL][/IMG]

It would make sense if it came in a complete part but, manual seems to suggest otherwise and the bearings can also be found separately as shown here
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The outer cv is a complete part. The diagrams show only the gearbox/diff end.
It states not to disassemble the outer cv but a hammer sorts that out as you have found out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The outer cv is a complete part. The diagrams show only the gearbox/diff end.
It states not to disassemble the outer cv but a hammer sorts that out as you have found out.
Hmm , so in hindsight ( after reading manual ) It is recommended to have disassembled the inner Diff side , so that the replacement boot could slide on from the diff side - as opposed from the wheel side ?

Dammit :mad: It seems the consensus ( youtube) is , to remove the wheel side bearing to replace CV boots

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
If this product does include the bearing , is the price not suspiciously cheap ?

The equivalent Europarts product is more than double the price
I agree, it does seem very cheap.
To be honest twice the price at eurocarparts still seems cheap and if you have one local, no postage and any problems are easily sorted.

One thing I did notice is I expected the snap ring to not have the 90 degree bends on the end. Did the old one have them or maybe the photo used is a generic one and not the actual part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I did notice is I expected the snap ring to not have the 90 degree bends on the end. Did the old one have them or maybe the photo used is a generic one and not the actual part.

The kit contains the circlip/ snapring ( technically a circlip afaik)

On the Outer CV joint I believe there to be just one clip ( there is only one groove on the spline) I got confused looking at the manual ( appears to be wrong anyway - they usually are imo)

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

The kit contains the circlip/ snapring ( technically a circlip afaik)

On the Outer CV joint I believe there to be just one clip ( there is only one groove on the spline) I got confused looking at the manual ( appears to be wrong anyway - they usually are imo)
Sorry forgot that was actually your part photo.
Thought the snapring/circlip ends may stop it fitting, but obviously not.
That is a big price difference, maybe somebody may comment that has used the cheap one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I will order a new CV joint anyway for the one side , however I only wanted to change the boot and this could have been avoided if I knew the correct removal method in the first place . If someone could shed some light or guide me on the removal process ( in order to fit new boot/gaiter )
This is the drivers side ( offside UK ) drive shaft without the CV joint

. As you can see here the outer joint was removed but , as mentioned before this required severe brute force and shattered the bearing/drive cog , so will go about replacing the whole CV .

However I digress , it was just the boot that needed replacing and I still have one to do and here it is

The maruti alto manual seems to indicate that the inner joint should be removed first, though the manual is about as clear as mud , go to pages 192-193 to see more in link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8x71Dthc0ZQUDI2eUJ0TzdGQzg/view?usp=sharing

Again any comments appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I would definitely disassemble the inner CV assembly as this is designed to be taken apart. While you have that end apart I would fit a new boot to it as well.
Does that lump in the middle of dismantled shaft come off ??
If not then you had no option but to remove the outer CV.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
That bit in the middle appears to be a dynamic damper :huh: made of rubber, so can be removed I assume.
This time around though you can put the new boot on the shaft before you insert it into the new CV joint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would definitely disassemble the inner CV assembly as this is designed to be taken apart. While you have that end apart I would fit a new boot to it as well.
I will dismantle the inner side later this week and take some pics ( could help someone in future )

Thanks for your input Darrel , fingers crossed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts