Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Sidekick, 1.6L 8V, 5-spd, 2-dr, 4wd, Auto hubs

I'm getting ready to do a modest coil spacer lift on my Kick as the springs are getting weak after 300k mi. Since I'll have the front end generally apart I thought it best to change my CV's. Plus both of mine are hanging on by a thread so it's time. I found a pretty good thread on here outlining the replacement process but I still have a few questions as I've always avoided CV's. Please help me understand.

-No special tools required, correct?
-Other than c-clips at wheel ends & bolt flange at diff housing on driver side (I think) no other fasteners/retainers to look for on either side or inside diff?
-Read something on here about axle seals. What, where, and how many? Also any P/N's, exploded drawings, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help. You all are 2 for 2 helping me sort out probs. Also, might be worth adding my Kick has the bolt on style lower ball joints.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
There is a "special" tool used to pop the right inner CV joint out of the differential. I haven't tried to remove a TracKick axle without it, I understand it can be done. (I picked up a Tracker tool set fairly cheap.) in the past, I have had "issues" with a similar designed non-trackick set-up.

For seals see #4 and #5 here:

1994 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

I am not happy with the diagram with the axles:

1994 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. That's a huge help to me. I've read on here the right side can be pried out carefully without anything special. My Haynes manual says that as well but sometimes I find Haynes to be a bit brief in their explanations. As for a Trackick tool set do you recall where you got it? Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
... As for a Trackick tool set do you recall where you got it? Sounds like a good idea.
I got them (yes, two incomplete kits) off eBay. Between the two kits I have all but one or two items. With many dealerships (both GM and Suzuki) being closed, the market was flooded for tools and manuals. There are not as many now, so prices have gone up.

Kent Moore Chevrolet Tracker Service Tools Set | eBay

The tool in question is the "Y" shaped tool in the picture. You place it with one "arm" on each side of the CV to Differential interface and strike the "foot" of the "Y" with a mallet. Pops it right out.

A pair of pry bars, chisels or even screwdrivers could be used in place of the tool. I did not ever get the CV's popped out of the Mazda I was working on... same kind of set-up. When pulling the front diff on my Sport, I was glad to have the right tool.... takes only seconds with it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The first time I did it took two pry bars. One for each hand. Guess it never had been pulled before now it's only one but it is still held in good and tight. Actually I will be pulling mine soon for replacement. First time was for oil pan gasket then to pull and check while I was lifting.

If you don't mind what part of Arkansas? I am close to Memphis and may be local.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dayton, I'm roughly 50 mi SW of Little Rock but have family in the Hernando MS area. I'm from east Ark originally but ended up here somehow.

I'm thinking the pry bar method will be applied. I'm glad you mentioned them possibly being sticky since I don't know what to expect otherwise. I'm accustomed to heavier stuff so I'm pretty timid working on my 1st Zuk. I hate making new probs. I'd rather ask dumb questions than make dumb mistakes.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
... I'd rather ask dumb questions than make dumb mistakes.
Good (wise) plan.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others!

:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I actually work in hernando. Good luck on the axles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, new question, same problem. I've gotten into this CV removal and I'm understanding that there should be a c-clip behind the hub cover (auto hubs on mine). I'm not seeing any sort of clip. I must be missing a step or something. It has be stumped and I don't want to get rough if I'm just missing something. Don't need more probs as my hub cover is trashed from someone's prior monkeying around. Gonna have to find another one of those so help me there too if you have suggestions.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Maybe someone forgot to fit t, try pulling the shaft towards you to see if you can see the groove where its supposed to sit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prob solved. I had a real brain fart though it's partly my Haynes manual's fault. I took off the outer cover on the face of the hub (per Haynes sorta vaguely). No c-clip there. Take the whole hub body off and tah-dah. But I'm guessing ya'll knew that... Anyway CV's replaced but I've got to find another of the auto hub cover plates. My driver side is barely hanging on. I'm sure that'll just be a breeze to find. Ugh.

On a related note, I didn't pull either caliper off or back out tie rod ends. I did add a set of 2" Low Range Off-road coil spacers. I highly recommend putting them in boiling water then slipping them on. They fit super tight otherwise. Get them hot and it goes much easier. Also, if there are any Zuk noobs (like me) out there, make sure your CV's are themselves seated, not just in the hub/diff. My pass side axle tried to pull apart and left the axle extended leaving everything out of whack.

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
... it's partly my Haynes manual's fault. ...
Yep!

Pretty much any aftermarket manual isn't worth the paper it is printed on. They try and cover Sami's, Trackicks and Grand Vits from the 80's into the 2000's... all in a one inch thick manual. (I think it was the Sami locking hubs with the clip under the outer cover.) How detailed on your exact year and model do you think they can be?

The Tracker Factory Service Manual is over 2 inches thick and covers ONE year and model.

Check eBay. They have been selling off the manuals (and tools) from closing dealerships and have been found rather cheap. (Granted I think the bulk have been sold by now.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good advice Mike. I know their one size fits all approach is nearly worthless. But I suppose it's better than nothing. Luckily I just happen to know some folks that are long time Chevy dealers (as well as all GM, Chrysler, Ford brands and more). They might still have some Tracker stuff. I will be looking into it. Every time I finish a project I find something else I want to address/improve. Install lockers, build bumpers, plus I need new struts/shocks (boring), cam swap sounds fun, rebuild steering, put the AC back on, crawler gears for tranny, etc $$$ etc. I shoulda bought a new truck but that's no fun. I need a better book and will probably have to start robbing liquor stores to finance this thing if I keep going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.