Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, I'm writing to share experience with finding a 2" receiver hitch to mount on my '89 Geo Tracker. First off: no, this wouldn't increase towing capacity, it would only give you an expensive 2" receiver rated for ~1000 lbs. No, I couldn't find one available from aftermarket or OEM sources -- so yes, there will be metal-smithing involved in custom modifications. For these reasons, I'd recommend a Class I hitch you can find online unless you have a specific reason. For me, I have a lot of 2" attachments from my old truck so it is easiest to keep that size.

I chose a '99 Vitara hitch to start modifying. The bolt holes are a match for the older Tracker, but they're meant for a wider frame so you'll need to shorten each side tube by approx 1.5". After that, it's an easier fit-up. On my model there is a trim bracket at end of frame rail, so I cut a notch in the hitch bracket to clear it and also used slightly shorter Grade8 mounting bolts.

I'm considering have the tube rewelded to the brackets to move tube up and closer to the bumper, in order to get better clearance and departure angle. But overall I'm happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I can't get over how you guys can modify something like that and fit it to a vehicle over there with no legal hassles.

Try that here it would be immediately ordered off the road unless the welding and fitment was certified by a licensed engineer due to the safety implications.

looks nice fitted tho.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing is that's actually my day job, designing and reviewing steel welds. Consider it certified! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Funny thing is that's actually my day job, designing and reviewing steel welds. Consider it certified! :cool:
Hmmm....I wish you were my neighbor...LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts