Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
It has a light. I've never found a temperature gauge much use. Only had an accessory belt break once and I didn't notice the gauge before the steam...

Well we currently have an old Jimny until we get our 2017 Ignis Allgrip this weekend (didn't trust the production pause end date so decided to just get one) - we also ran our own Jimny for two years. We absolutely loved it - SO good off road, so easy to park BUT it was pretty heavy on fuel and pretty poor on road. The new one looks absolutely fantastic BUT it has a pretty terrible NCAP rating (the AllGrip is a full five stars) and it sounds like it's also poor on the road. Unless you must have serious off road ability or have to look cool, go Ignis.

Well we currently have an old Jimny until we get our 2017 Ignis Allgrip this weekend (didn't trust the production pause end date so decided to just get one) - we also ran our own Jimny for two years. We absolutely loved it - SO good off road, so easy to park BUT it was pretty heavy on fuel and pretty poor on road. The new one looks absolutely fantastic BUT it has a pretty terrible NCAP rating (the AllGrip is a full five stars) and it sounds like it's also poor on the road. Unless you must have serious off road ability or have to look cool, go Ignis.
Well the 5 star rating is a bit of a 'con' anyway, it's only 3 stars (like the Jimny) on the lower models, the AllGrip (and other higher models) gets 5 stars solely because of the autonomous braking and lane drift features.

I did a test drive in the new Jimny, and it drives better (and goes better) than the old Jimny's, but the Ignis is MUCH better in both respects.

I've done about 3500 miles now, and I'm still absolutely loving it, nice to drive, comfortable, performs (on road) a great deal better than a Jimny, and much better fuel economy - the on-screen display claims 55.1mpg currently (which is slightly optimistic) and the Jinyb used to give about 37mpg.

Obviously not had any snow yet, so no real opinion on the 4WD - but the other week I was on VERY small road, a VERY steep hill, and met a car coming down on a hairpin bend. The car coming down stopped and pulled right to the side of the road, but as the road was too narrow for two cars I had to run my nearside wheels off the road in mud and loose gravel. I expected a bit of wheel spinning, but there was none whatsoever, and it drove just like all wheels were on tarmac. So that result was encouraging.

Well the 5 star rating is a bit of a 'con' anyway, it's only 3 stars (like the Jimny) on the lower models, the AllGrip (and other higher models) gets 5 stars solely because of the autonomous braking and lane drift features.

I did a test drive in the new Jimny, and it drives better (and goes better) than the old Jimny's, but the Ignis is MUCH better in both respects.

I've done about 3500 miles now, and I'm still absolutely loving it, nice to drive, comfortable, performs (on road) a great deal better than a Jimny, and much better fuel economy - the on-screen display claims 55.1mpg currently (which is slightly optimistic) and the Jinyb used to give about 37mpg.

Obviously not had any snow yet, so no real opinion on the 4WD - but the other week I was on VERY small road, a VERY steep hill, and met a car coming down on a hairpin bend. The car coming down stopped and pulled right to the side of the road, but as the road was too narrow for two cars I had to run my nearside wheels off the road in mud and loose gravel. I expected a bit of wheel spinning, but there was none whatsoever, and it drove just like all wheels were on tarmac. So that result was encouraging.
Well that does sound encouraging as we pick ours up the weekend.
I've just driven the old Jimny on the school run - they are definitely "interesting" to drive...!

I have had a wee chuckle reading these posts and i'm tossing my 2c in here. You may convert to local currency as required.

Just remember, comparing the Jimny to the Ignis is not really a fair comparison. The Jimny is a true off road 4x4, separate truck chassis, beam axles, low range, longer suspension travel etc while the Ignis is not.
I do a lot of serious off road stuff and the Jimny's that tag along have been known to upstage a lot of other vehicles. I have yet to see an Ignis tackle a mud pit.

The Jimny will never be a stellar performer on road, it was never designed to be.

I'd love to see the Ignis try to keep up with the Jimny off road, but as a road going vehicle with 4WD (albeit high range only) the Ignis does certainly do a good job in the slippery stuff that 90% of the owners will encounter.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you are doing and where you will be going.
If you want to go fishing or hunting and need to cross muddy paddocks and rivers, get a Jimny.
Want the added security and handling an on demand AWD can provide, with the ability to be reasonably good on snow covered roads and shingle roads and still ride like a car, get an Ignis.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you are doing and where you will be going.
If you want to go fishing or hunting and need to cross muddy paddocks and rivers, get a Jimny.
Want the added security and handling an on demand AWD can provide, with the ability to be reasonably good on snow covered roads and shingle roads and still ride like a car, get an Ignis.
Exactly, different vehicles for different applications - with the added bonus that either can do a little of what the other is best at.

My previous two vehicles were Jimny's, and I'd happily have had a new one - except you can't get them - I could have ordered one, but there was no accurate suggestion of a delivery date, other than it would be over a year (and could be considerably over a year). Apparently there are only 10,000 for the UK in 2019, and they were long since allocated.

Another big minus point for the Jimny was the boot size, even smaller than the old Jimny - which would only just fit two airline suitcases in. As we have to collect our daughter and husband from airports occasionally, this would have made life rather tricky :D

I have had a wee chuckle reading these posts and i'm tossing my 2c in here. You may convert to local currency as required.

Just remember, comparing the Jimny to the Ignis is not really a fair comparison. The Jimny is a true off road 4x4, separate truck chassis, beam axles, low range, longer suspension travel etc while the Ignis is not.
I do a lot of serious off road stuff and the Jimny's that tag along have been known to upstage a lot of other vehicles. I have yet to see an Ignis tackle a mud pit.

The Jimny will never be a stellar performer on road, it was never designed to be.

I'd love to see the Ignis try to keep up with the Jimny off road, but as a road going vehicle with 4WD (albeit high range only) the Ignis does certainly do a good job in the slippery stuff that 90% of the owners will encounter.

My long standing beef has been that people who wanted a small 4x4 have almost had no choice but then some years ago permanent 4x4 started in popularity. I have owned Jimny, LJ, SJ along with the more usual 4x4s such as Vitaras (sticking to Suzuki here! I am very happy with my V6 Pajero.).
Now I feel there is a viable choice for those of us that want on road 4x4 benefits. Having said that my recently acquired Ignis SM5 is in auto and you can't have auto and 4x4..........which is such a pain.:mad:

My long standing beef has been that people who wanted a small 4x4 have almost had no choice but then some years ago permanent 4x4 started in popularity. I have owned Jimny, LJ, SJ along with the more usual 4x4s such as Vitaras (sticking to Suzuki here! I am very happy with my V6 Pajero.).
Now I feel there is a viable choice for those of us that want on road 4x4 benefits. Having said that my recently acquired Ignis SM5 is in auto and you can't have auto and 4x4..........which is such a pain.:mad:
Part of my choice is because I really don't like FWD and haven't had one for many years. Our current VW California has 4WD partly so it's not FWD; with 201bhp and 330lbs-ft of torque, it's just too much for the front wheels alone. Our now dead Subaru was amazing off road only limited by clearance. It was great for Coastguard shouts but its premature "death" has put me right off Subarus.

Absolutely no question the Jimny, new and old, is great off road but I'm reminded today that they really aren't so happy on it. Unless we have unlimited funds, we need multipurpose "tools" for the road. I do wish decent All Season tyres were available for the Ignis; our California has Goodyear Vectors, the Outback had Michelin CrossClimates; both were excellent.

But anyway, looking forward to some light, cheapish motoring (the California weighs 2.7 tonnes although it does carry part of a house in it - we spend every Summer touring Europe in it) having had a string of fairly thirsty, heavy motors (the Outback, a BMW M135i, BMW 335d Touring, etc).

I was having my Ignis serviced today - the salesroom manager said the situation was hopeless - they have SO many people wanting Jimny's but have only been allocated 2 this YEAR! He said they're building a new factory to ramp up production but obviously that'll take a while.

I was having my Ignis serviced today - the salesroom manager said the situation was hopeless - they have SO many people wanting Jimny's but have only been allocated 2 this YEAR! He said they're building a new factory to ramp up production but obviously that'll take a while.
Is that your first service?

Yes when I was finalising my Ignis deal I had a quick chat about the Jimny situation. Actually it was more than a quick chat.;) You would be looking at years and for what. I want one as the shape reminds me of the SJ that took me everywhere but I don't want one because it is too like the previous Jimny from the waist down. By the time the Jimny gets ahead of all this it will need to be electric. Hahahahaha:lol::lol::lol:

What applied the brakes for me about getting one is I am well pleased with my monster Pajero. It is a hard motor to follow up from.

I would like to know what is the widest tyre that the existing rims will take that clear the arches.:cool:

I was also told two years! Plus at least a four month production gap for the Ignis. Used ones were incredibly scarce, particularly in Cornwall so we snapped up a 9k mile, 17 plate instead!

Now I do love that!!
When I met my wife (she was 17, I was 20) she had her dad’s new Land Rover 90 pickup to drive around in; and I was insured to drive it!
Great fun but way less reliable than a Jimny.

The Jimny's had a huge price increase! - around two thousand?
Jesus - it was already far too expensive - still I suppose when you can't make enough for the demand, you can stick the price up to reduce the demand and make more profit at the same time.

Still, I'm very happy with my Ignis, and find the sliding rear seats VERY useful - it's amazing how just a little bit of extra room makes such a big difference.

Mind you, not that I've been driving it much recently, but it's used hardly any petrol in the last two months - still seen no snow though!.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.