Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
IMO it isn't really worth it...why not the new Si motor? its got 200hp and isn't even boosted yet
are you refering to the K20 motor?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You may be able to put a 3.0L engine in there. But your only problem is going to be the tranny as we can only take small trannys.

·
Registered
418 Posts
umm.. the cobalt SS LNF motors make 260 FWHP, thats substantially more than a 200hp SI!!!!.. IMO its REALLY worth it..
and maximum boost is 20.0 psi, delivering 260 hp (194 kW) at 5300 rpm and 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) of torque from 2500–5250 rpm thats boosted he said and not boosted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
and maximum boost is 20.0 psi, delivering 260 hp (194 kW) at 5300 rpm and 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) of torque from 2500–5250 rpm thats boosted he said and not boosted.
boosted or not boosted..im just comparing and stock a SI motor to a stock SS....no one said anything about it couldnt be boosted or not...stock to stock the SS makes over 25% more HP... 20psi maybe the MAX stock boost..I know people that are running 28psi on the LNF motor and using the cars as Daily Drivers..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Aren't you going to modify the SS motor anyways? Most people that start out with a S/C end up going to turbo for the higher boost. For example, a few of my friends are in a Bonneville club with pretty crazy modded SSEI's. The guys that have taken the car to the next level are the one's that went turbo and twin-turbo. The S/C didn't put out as much boost as they wanted, even after a pulley swap.

Why not use a more tuned engine like the Honda rather than the crude US design for a more inexpensive car? Not to mention all the parts are already available for turbo and several other engine mods. If you want to stick with the USA motors, go with a Pontiac G6 or something with more displacement. You're going to spend thousands of dollars to get the thing and to get it to fit, so why not go with something that you'll be more happy with? I'm not knocking US engines, I'm just saying that the Cobalt engine isn't their greatest.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just giving my opinion. It isn't my car so it doesn't really matter. I'm sure it will turn out to be pretty cool either way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aren't you going to modify the SS motor anyways? Most people that start out with a S/C end up going to turbo for the higher boost. For example, a few of my friends are in a Bonneville club with pretty crazy modded SSEI's. The guys that have taken the car to the next level are the one's that went turbo and twin-turbo. The S/C didn't put out as much boost as they wanted, even after a pulley swap.

Why not use a more tuned engine like the Honda rather than the crude US design for a more inexpensive car? Not to mention all the parts are already available for turbo and several other engine mods. If you want to stick with the USA motors, go with a Pontiac G6 or something with more displacement. You're going to spend thousands of dollars to get the thing and to get it to fit, so why not go with something that you'll be more happy with? I'm not knocking US engines, I'm just saying that the Cobalt engine isn't their greatest.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just giving my opinion. It isn't my car so it doesn't really matter. I'm sure it will turn out to be pretty cool either way.
FYI the LNF is a turbo motor..the LSJ (Supercharged) was discontinued in 2007..
This really doesn't make any since "Why not use a more tuned engine like the Honda"...Im sure a stock LNF is very well tuned. infact your entire quote makes no since... G6 uses ecotec 4 cylinder motors, a G6 is a built off of the cobalt platform..only things that are different are the bumpers...like the G6 GT uses the 2.4 VVT ecotec LE5..there is a V6 option for G6 models, but I dont think that would fit very great.. and you think the LNF motor is inexpensive..the cheapest you can get a crate LNF is around 4K and thats without the forced induction and wiring.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i was talking about the g6 with the v6.

i'm not up to par about the newer cobalt. i haven't looked at them in a long time because i don't like them. that does seem to be quite a motor in them. although it probably isn't super spectacular, it would still be cool to see.

my whole thoughts were that you'd have V-tec, a higher revving engine to start off with, and all you'd need is to slap a turbo on it. the Si comes with the 6-speed, too so you'd have a pretty unique reno/forenza already.

anyways, after you corrected me about the SS engine, I say go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts