Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crazy problem with 2001 Grand Vitara 2.5 v6 4x4.

I recently had timing chains, gears, etc replaced. 4 different mechanics verified the work, so I KNOW it is timed properly. This was done 500 miles ago. about 200 miles ago, new problem showed up.

Vehicle starts easy, BUT, has very strong fuel odor and fuel smoke. a few revs and its gone. Vehicle has crazy power and can easily do a 2 wheel burn out.

After about 5-10 miles of driving, things get strange. Put vehicle under ANY load or acceleration and I get a horrible spark knock and a cloud of fuel smoke. Throw it into neutral and rev a few time and problem is temporarily fixed....

Air filter is clean, oil is fresh, new spark plugs, replaced all coils, air intake sensor is new, replaced all vacuum hoses,

I run high octane , NO ethanol fuel...

Have scanned and there are NO check engine codes

Engine compression is good, Engine Temp is good,

I love this vehicle but it is wearing me out....

ANY IDEAS???

Ed

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
I think that I'd place a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to check regulator operation and injector leakage signs.

There should be some reference parameters in the Service Manuals, link below... :)
My Files

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel system...

Let me just say...I am not an expert, but I was wondering if it was a stuck fuel injector. Why would so much fuel smoke be coming out?

thank you for your advice, I will have this checked ASAP. thanks, Ed

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,376 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator reacts to manifold vacuum, so if the diaphragm is ruptured it will dump excessive fuel via the vacuum line....

STFT & O2 switching should follow the fuel usage. Caution if you run with excessive fuel, the CAT will run hot and MELT....

Of course, this information would be evident with a LIVE DATA SCANNER attached....

.... Philip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts