Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know them? off hand. One of them sheared when we were installing the pulley. it doesn't appear to be loose (the pulley), however I want to replace it asap. Hopefully it won't be too hard to remove the broken end.

NOTE: I'm talking about the 5 little bolts not the big center bolt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't know the specs, but I think that's one of the few bolts on the car that isn't easily swapped. Its head is just a little smaller than normal.

If you get one out, and there is no Suzuki dealer around, Honda used a very similar bolt as a valve cover bolt on ALL of their aircooled atvs/atcs/dbs/mcs for YEARS.

The shop should have a giant bin of used emergency bolts in the back that were pulled and replaced with new. Starts off as a little pile and within a year it's recycling bin sized.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the specs, but I think that's one of the few bolts on the car that isn't easily swapped. Its head is just a little smaller than normal.

Finding the bolt wasn't that hard, removing the sheared end out of the gear is a whole different story. I'm lucky to have a friend that works in a machine shop, 'cause I don't see how it would be possible otherwise.

Heck, even with the best tools we snapped a bit, and broke a die off in the gear. It all worked out in the end though.

We replaced the the bolts with class 10.9 bolts from the hardware store. Unfortunately they only had one of the flange bolts like the originals in stock. So we had to make due with standard bolts and washers.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Finding the bolt wasn't that hard, removing the sheared end out of the gear is a whole different story. I'm lucky to have a friend that works in a machine shop, 'cause I don't see how it would be possible otherwise.

Heck, even with the best tools we snapped a bit, and broke a die off in the gear. It all worked out in the end though.

We replaced the the bolts with class 10.9 bolts from the hardware store. Unfortunately they only had one of the flange bolts like the originals in stock. So we had to make due with standard bolts and washers.
6mm x 1.00 socket head bolts are an alternative due to the small head.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, I can say with 100% confidence that a valve cover bolt from an 1985 atc70 fits perfectly.

Why I can say this with such certainty is due to a cat attacking my bolt map thinking it was a toy.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Well, I can say with 100% confidence that a valve cover bolt from an 1985 atc70 fits perfectly.

I would check the grade of that bolt, I would expect a pulley bolt to be an 8.8 grade, a cam cover bolt may be only a 4 grade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts