Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 SX4 nightmare

Hi all, I am dealing with my daughters 2009 SX4, which she ran out of oil, and spun #4 Rod Bearing. Installed a new set of Rod Bearings but after 30 mi. it Blew up with catastrophic results.

I found an Engine- transmission on CL with 49,k miles, (verified). Had the unit installed, but now have Excessive Blow-by, Oil in the coolant reservoir and excessive oil pumping into the Exhaust system, so much that it has drenched the rear muffler.

In investigating and testing, we have determined that the Compression is excellent with 180+ lbs all across, but in doing a "Leak-down" test, #1 cylinder is leaking into the exhaust system. It looks to me that there is a Head Gasket or Head- crack, problem, rite at the front corner of the block, ie. adjacent to #1 cylinder, where the Oil Pressure line comes up to feed the Head? What I can't figure out, is the serious Blow-by?

This engine apparently sat a few years so maybe rings are stuck onto the pistons,(which doesn't exactly make sense with 180lbs compression?) Today, I installed a qt. of Rislone and a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil, with the hope of loosening any rings that my be "stuck", causing the Blow-by. I ran it at idle a few hrs today and am thinking that it might be helping, as the oil is no-longer spewing from the exhaust pipe, but the Blow-By still exists.

Does anyone have any ideas on this. I cannot actually drive the car now, as the "check engine" lite is on and it seems to be in "limp mode", only idles and will not accelerate. Also I noticed the Tachometer is no longer working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bob Lesher in Astoria Oregon

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
I wish that I had encouraging news to share...

Ouch. :(

The CL obtained engine has internal issues that we can only speculate as to the problem within. It will require a disassembly to pinpoint the problem, and then the appropriate repair action if able to be corrected. A cracked head or block is on the list of maladies.

I guess taking a wait and see approach with the stuck rings / soaking in oil theory won't hurt to continue at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
09' engine issues and sensor codes...

I just had the codes read and reset, (at auto Zone), which was, "Crank Position Sensor". I replaced the Sensor, but it still runs in 'Limp Mode" with the check engine lite on and the tach not working., (so it did not reset). I did not run the engine until I replaced the Sensor. They are telling me that there is a Broken Wire, going to the Crank pos. Sensor, and I need to "ring them out" to check for Continuity. Can some tell me which terminals at the ECU plug are the other end of these three CPS wires, so I can check them? Thanks, Bob with the 2009 SX4 from Hell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you Darrel, I can see that pin #52 is the cam position Sensor- red w/yellow wire. Where are the other two wires from the CPS,(one black w/ brown and one black w/red)? One of these must be a ground? Where does it land, and the other? I'm trying very hard to figure this out. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK Darrel, I'm getting close. Item #4 is the CPS and I can see that Black/ orange wire is ground. the last wire goes to +B? What is +B? is that 12V battery positive? Bob

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
That's what I've been thinking in the back of my head from the beginning. CAM! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cannot make heads from tails, from this diagram. Yes, My Mistake, I've been talking about the Cam Position Sensor, CPS. Now, it seems that I have two bad sensors, (used but were working)? Is there a simple test for these? I've checked the wiring and all seems good. Bob

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
OK. I have merged these two threads together for all to get the big picture. Hopefully with the whole story to include attempts at repair and sharing in discussion, we can better help.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
OK. Breaking down what once was an overwhelming paragraph....

Based on what you have stated...
I found an Engine- transmission on CL with 49,k miles, (verified). Had the unit installed, but now have Excessive Blow-by, Oil in the coolant reservoir and excessive oil pumping into the Exhaust system, so much that it has drenched the rear muffler.

In investigating and testing, we have determined that the Compression is excellent with 180+ lbs all across, but in doing a "Leak-down" test, #1 cylinder is leaking into the exhaust system. It looks to me that there is a Head Gasket or Head- crack, problem, rite at the front corner of the block, ie. adjacent to #1 cylinder, where the Oil Pressure line comes up to feed the Head? What I can't figure out, is the serious Blow-by?
the engine appears as junk currently, and you are wasting your time IMO chasing a CMP / CPS sensor ghosts which are not the major concern here.

Sorry to be so frank, but that "new" engine requires serious internal inspection / repair. :(

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
OK Bob, but it is difficult to determine part needs without first stripping the engine down.

Does the engine require a re-bore? Crank ground? If not, are the bearing and ring needs in standard or oversize currently? Is the head or block cracked possibly negating any further repair efforts all together? :huh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a 49,k mile engine. I have ordered Std. rings and rod bearings, Head and manifold gaskets. I have a spare head and pistons if necessary. I will get it done. Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts