Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2007 Suzuki Aerio)
I've begun to notice this almost "crackly" rattling sound emanating from the engine bay area, when up at highway speeds and attempting to accelerate, never when in park/neutral. Over the past two weeks since it has started, I've had to top up the oil due to it burning it off at a relatively quick pace.

She has begun to struggle to accelerate above 40MPH as well, when the sound begins to be at its worst.
I have replaced the PCV valve by somebody's recommendation in case that was it, but it was not. Has not improved at all. I have also noticed it is worst during the day, when it's hot outside. During early morning when I drive to work at about 5AM, she's perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you check any components in the engine like air intake box, catalyst heat shield, loose nuts and bolts ect. Check those first. Something could be loose enough to rattle for e.g lets say throttle body... if this is loose this will effect power and response.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Did you check any components in the engine like air intake box, catalyst heat shield, loose nuts and bolts ect. Check those first. Something could be loose enough to rattle for e.g lets say throttle body... if this is loose this will effect power and response.
but none of these account for the increase in oil consumption reported.

I'm suspicious its something a bit more complex, a large air leak after the MAF sensor could account for the running conditions, but not the oil consumption increase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The oil consumption and the other issue could be 2 seperate things but we cant prove that yet. However at your next oil change interval you could remove the sump pan and inspect the oil transfer to make sure its not clogged at the gauge. If the issues are both related its possible the PCV could be blocked either at the valve or through the channels inside the crank case as this cause oil consumption too as well as effecting performance. Just a thought. Have you smelt the oil after a journey when the engine is hot. It shouldnt smell too strongly of fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have a check engine light? I know a clogged catalytic converter will cause power issues. If left untreated it can really mess up an engine. It usually throws a code.
If it was blow by and piston slap it would be better as the engine got hotter and the rings expanded to fill the void.
Considering it isn't a thing that is always happening it doesn't sound like a major top end issue though it's not ruled out completely. Perhaps a worn valve seal could account for the oil consumption and a loose valve seat could be the noise.
Just spit balling here based on experience. Is your exhaust noticably smokey/blueish?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts