Suzuki Forums banner

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

19K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  VanessaS 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 4 door Suzuki Sidekick JX, 1.6l. Service Engine Light is on, had codes pulled and got code P0135 and P0400.
We replaced the EGR valve and were about to do the o2 today when we found a crack in the exhaust manifold.
The symptoms we have been having are really high idle on cold start that takes a while to balance down to 800. once warmed up the idle is choppy, and when i come to a stop it almost stalled unless gas was given.
We are obviously going to do the o2 sensor but have to deal with this cracked manifold first- the crack is in a ring around one of the pipes (sorry not sure of correct terminology).
The problem being we cannot find an exhaust manifold for it anywhere, there is no part listed with any of the auto part places, and so far none of the used or recycled auto part places have any either.
I am in BC Canada. Does anyone know of anywhere I may find one? Or if its listed or bundled differently as a part?
Thanks muchly for any input

#2 ·
#3 ·
There is no aftermarket exhaust manifold made for the 16v Trackick, and most of the manifolds you will find in junkyards will most likely be cracked as well. Most people purchase headers instead, but you must be careful regarding the port for the o2, the line up of bolts, etc. It is fairly difficult to find a straight swap for this, from what I understand. There are many posts about the 16v exhaust manifold on the forum, if you search for them, as well as recommendations.

#4 ·
Yes I have discovered that no such part exists, which seems rather ridiculous but it is what it is. We have removed the manifold and my husband works with a red seal welder who has welded cast, and welded the manifold on his boat so we are putting it in his capable hands. We have cleaned it up and I have actually checked out a few of the posts on here for help so here's hoping! I love my zuki! And I need it to get me through the next 6 months because being a student does not support a new car ;) Thanks for the guidance though

#5 ·
When I got my tracker, same engine as yours, my engine did the same thing, dying when coming to a stop sign and had to tickle the gas to keep it going. After doing the EGR/ and egr tube cleaning of the carbon, that led me on a quest to fix everything, including the cracked exhaust manifold. I removed it and brazed it~ so far, so good. but if it should ever crack again, I would look into an exhaust header. These exhaust manifolds are nowhere to be found:(
dne'

#7 ·
While not some thing that will help the G16 crowd, The exhaust manifold from a "newer" J20 Vitara or Tracker will bolt to a J18 in a Sidekick Sport. The 2.0L manifold is NOT cast. It is a welded tube manifold so it is less likely to crack. I picked one up at a Pick-n-Pull for about $30. (With the heat shield.) You'll need to fab a down pipe as it does NOT bolt up on that end. (I still need to do this.)

-- At least with a G16 they make headers... I couldn't find any for the J18. --

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
In the US it could be a 1.6 or 1.8, Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Store shows both 1.6 and 1.8 are available...

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

I checked Southwest Suzuki where I got my manifold, and it looks like they no longer deal with Suzuki. Sucks that they pulled out of the US market, soon OEM parts will be nearly impossible to get.

#8 ·
There is no 16v exhaust manifold, other than an aftermarket header, for sale anywhere - and Suzuki dealers do not have them either. I think you are talking about the Suzuki online catalog? It's listed there as 'N/A'.

#11 ·
They seem to have prices listed for both 8 valve, 16 valve, 2 door, 4 door, Cali/Fed emssions and early/late models. -- BUT -- from the prices headers would be cheaper and might even last longer, but you have to handle the connection to the cat.

I am wondering: If someone found a "good" manifold, would it be a good idea to add a "web" for strength between the 3rd and 4th ports? Maybe weld/braze in a chunk of cast iron?

Never run with out the manifold supports.

#12 ·
I have never used the guys in that link, but only would refer to their online catalog now that SW Suzuki (whom I did use) no longer supports Suzuki. Excuse my ignorance, but the new site lists a different exhaust manifold for the 2 door 16v and the 4 door 16v - however, this info is contrary to all the years I have been on this forum, where no one has ever been able to find a factory 16v exhaust manifold. So, the mystery continues.....???

#13 ·
I just called their 800 number as my curiosity was getting the best of me. Talked to a guy named Greg, and he says the manifold is in stock. ;)

#15 ·
When I bought the manifold for my 1.8, I noticed it was a bit different from the original that had cracked. It appeared to be beefier in the webbing area between #3 and 4 exhaust tubes. I can't help but wonder if they beefed up the 1.6 as well. I have pictures of the two on my pc, but I am on the wifes laptop as my computer is in the ER getting a virus eradicated

#18 ·
Chances are he has a similar EPC to what I have, which can find parts for your car with the VIN. But I really would have to question the availability of the 16v manifold. In all the time that I have been on this forum, I have never found anyone to be able to locate a factory 16v exhaust manifold. Ever. I am thinking that perhaps this guy is just reading from his computer, rather than actually having the part.

#19 ·
I guess the only way to find out for sure is if someone orders it or calls with a VIN and ask him to check if it positively is in stock. Like I said earlier SW Suzuki had my 1.8 manifold in stock but it looks like it has been upgraded, possibly that is the case with the 1.6. Who knows?

#20 ·
I've been buying from Suzuki Depot (Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store) for years. Recently, I needed an exhaust manifold to replace the cracked manifold on the 1.6 liter 8-valve engine in my 1989 Sidekick JX. The online catalog showed that it was available so I called and Suzuki Depot looked up my VIN. Unfortunately, my manifold is on "national back-order."

The last several orders that I've placed with Suzuki Depot and with Southwest Suzuki have resulted in cancelled orders or unavailable parts. Fortunately, Suzuki Depot is still in business but the availability of parts has been low.

#23 ·
When Southwest Suzuki was still selling parts, I bought a 16 vlv exhaust manifold from them. It looked exactly like my old one that cracked except the 02 sensor bung was slightly different. taller, I think. There was no extra webbing that I noticed. I think I paid the same price quoted above, 300 and something.

#24 ·
Keep in mind there where several versions of the 16 valve exhaust system. (At least four... maybe more.) So when looking up parts on the computer it might say one thing for one customer and something different for another.... depending on year, model and market. As most parts monkeys only know how to look up parts by Year make and model... they couldn't tell you there was something that would work with some modification of the connecting pipes.
---
I remember a cartoon of a guy at an auto parts store, pointing at a part hanging on the wall behind the counter while the parts guy is saying "The computer says we do not have it!"
---

#25 ·
I think that the 'no 16v manifold' idea is that there is no 16v manifold at a respectable price. For example, here is a 16v manifold for the 96-98 cars (using the part number in the EPC, although the website indicates 2000 Suzuki) - $338.00 for the manifold:
Suzuki Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

#26 ·
Ok, I have called the dealer, and they say they have it in stock. Another poster says he recently bought one from Southwest, where I bought one for my 1.8. Yet there are still naysayers. :huh:

#27 ·
Another poster says he recently bought one from Southwest, where I bought one for my 1.8. Yet there are still naysayers.
I think that is because S/W dropped the Suzuki line completely, but the link to the California based Dealer (posted above) is still a good source. ;) And other Dealers still in existence may have them as well.

#28 ·
I'm not scared away! lol just busy :) we got everything back together, new o2 sensors on and it starts up wonderfully but dies when its warmed up after letting go of the gas :( the Service Engine light is off now too! Going to do the timing later today and hope thats the issue.

On another note, I was able to locate an exhaust manifold through the suzuki dealership. It would have to be ordered from Ontario but they do list them as in stock but limited quantity. At a price of $429 I am going to hold off and hope that his brazing/welding whatever it is they did works :)

#29 ·
Is that what the new on is is stainless? We ended up repairing my old one, but in the meantime I still did a bit of research and of course calling a dealership is last resort lol. The guy was really helpful but didn't know too much, all he was able to tell me is that there is a part listed but it was a "limited quantity" and in Ontario.

The frustrating part here is, we had to buy a new elbow that was almost $200 bucks and had to cut the cat off to do a proper assembly- alot of work was put into it. And on the test run last night it still died after it was warmed up and I let go of the gas. It restarted every time but didn't want to stay running. The only upside thus far is the CEL is off lol haven't seen that off in a while :)

Could it be the timing is off now that everything is back together? We did adjust the timing a few months ago before we found what the big issue turned out to be-the cracked exhaust manifold. Or I'm praying it isn't so, but maybe the fix didn't work. It looks good but looks can be deceiving.

#30 ·
And on the test run last night it still died after it was warmed up and I let go of the gas. It restarted every time but didn't want to stay running. The only upside thus far is the CEL is off lol haven't seen that off in a while :)

Could it be the timing is off now that everything is back together? We did adjust the timing a few months ago before we found what the big issue turned out to be-the cracked exhaust manifold. Or I'm praying it isn't so, but maybe the fix didn't work. It looks good but looks can be deceiving.
There are a number of issues that can allow the car to die after start up. Certainly timing may be one of them (and a compression test will advise you if the timing is off). Presumably your check engine light is on with the key on, correct? Of course, there are many mechanical problems that can occur that can cause the car to die - timing, tuning, fuel pressure, etc. When the car dies, have you pulled the plugs to see if they are wet? Made sure the plugs are gapped to .028", etc.?

#31 ·
My CEL does work and does come on with key on, it has been on for a bit so we had the codes pulled and it was the o2 sensor and the EGR valve. We replaced the egr valve, and when we were about to do the o2 sensor is when we found the crack in the manifold. Hubby disassembled everything, had the manifold fixed (brazed or something?), and had to order a new elbow pipe (?) to reassemble. Got everything done last night, started up like a charm. idle was ok but once it was warmed up it idled a little low compared to normal (about 5-600rpm). Put it into gear to move it, backed up about 3 feet stopped and it stalled. Then restarting took a bit for it to catch unless we gave it gas. Decided to take a break but did notice the CEL was off.
This morning I drove the kids to school in it, it went fine (short drive), but when I got home, parked it and turned it off, I tried to restart it again and it would start then stall-seems to only happen when its warmed up to running temperature. Cold start is good.
He is going to check plugs and timing tonight hopefully.
This has been the initial issue that we have been trying to pinpoint for ever-stalling when coming to a stop when warmed up, not restarting when warm, and idling really rough. I thought for sure this fix would be the one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.