Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 4 door Suzuki Sidekick JX, 1.6l. Service Engine Light is on, had codes pulled and got code P0135 and P0400.
We replaced the EGR valve and were about to do the o2 today when we found a crack in the exhaust manifold.
The symptoms we have been having are really high idle on cold start that takes a while to balance down to 800. once warmed up the idle is choppy, and when i come to a stop it almost stalled unless gas was given.
We are obviously going to do the o2 sensor but have to deal with this cracked manifold first- the crack is in a ring around one of the pipes (sorry not sure of correct terminology).
The problem being we cannot find an exhaust manifold for it anywhere, there is no part listed with any of the auto part places, and so far none of the used or recycled auto part places have any either.
I am in BC Canada. Does anyone know of anywhere I may find one? Or if its listed or bundled differently as a part?
Thanks muchly for any input

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
There is no aftermarket exhaust manifold made for the 16v Trackick, and most of the manifolds you will find in junkyards will most likely be cracked as well. Most people purchase headers instead, but you must be careful regarding the port for the o2, the line up of bolts, etc. It is fairly difficult to find a straight swap for this, from what I understand. There are many posts about the 16v exhaust manifold on the forum, if you search for them, as well as recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have discovered that no such part exists, which seems rather ridiculous but it is what it is. We have removed the manifold and my husband works with a red seal welder who has welded cast, and welded the manifold on his boat so we are putting it in his capable hands. We have cleaned it up and I have actually checked out a few of the posts on here for help so here's hoping! I love my zuki! And I need it to get me through the next 6 months because being a student does not support a new car ;) Thanks for the guidance though

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I got my tracker, same engine as yours, my engine did the same thing, dying when coming to a stop sign and had to tickle the gas to keep it going. After doing the EGR/ and egr tube cleaning of the carbon, that led me on a quest to fix everything, including the cracked exhaust manifold. I removed it and brazed it~ so far, so good. but if it should ever crack again, I would look into an exhaust header. These exhaust manifolds are nowhere to be found:(
dne'

·
Registered
223 Posts
I purchased a brand new one for my 1.8 from Southwest Suzuki Parts online about 8 months ago.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
While not some thing that will help the G16 crowd, The exhaust manifold from a "newer" J20 Vitara or Tracker will bolt to a J18 in a Sidekick Sport. The 2.0L manifold is NOT cast. It is a welded tube manifold so it is less likely to crack. I picked one up at a Pick-n-Pull for about $30. (With the heat shield.) You'll need to fab a down pipe as it does NOT bolt up on that end. (I still need to do this.)

-- At least with a G16 they make headers... I couldn't find any for the J18. --

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
There is no 16v exhaust manifold, other than an aftermarket header, for sale anywhere - and Suzuki dealers do not have them either. I think you are talking about the Suzuki online catalog? It's listed there as 'N/A'.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's all I know...Bex said something about this Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Store... and I had never heard of them but it's like I said...there showing a exhaust manifold for a 1997 Sidekick...that would be a 16v yes/no?
In the US it could be a 1.6 or 1.8, Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Store shows both 1.6 and 1.8 are available...

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

I checked Southwest Suzuki where I got my manifold, and it looks like they no longer deal with Suzuki. Sucks that they pulled out of the US market, soon OEM parts will be nearly impossible to get.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
They seem to have prices listed for both 8 valve, 16 valve, 2 door, 4 door, Cali/Fed emssions and early/late models. -- BUT -- from the prices headers would be cheaper and might even last longer, but you have to handle the connection to the cat.

I am wondering: If someone found a "good" manifold, would it be a good idea to add a "web" for strength between the 3rd and 4th ports? Maybe weld/braze in a chunk of cast iron?

Never run with out the manifold supports.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
I have never used the guys in that link, but only would refer to their online catalog now that SW Suzuki (whom I did use) no longer supports Suzuki. Excuse my ignorance, but the new site lists a different exhaust manifold for the 2 door 16v and the 4 door 16v - however, this info is contrary to all the years I have been on this forum, where no one has ever been able to find a factory 16v exhaust manifold. So, the mystery continues.....???

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have never used the guys in that link, but only would refer to their online catalog now that SW Suzuki (whom I did use) no longer supports Suzuki. Excuse my ignorance, but the new site lists a different exhaust manifold for the 2 door 16v and the 4 door 16v - however, this info is contrary to all the years I have been on this forum, where no one has ever been able to find a factory 16v exhaust manifold. So, the mystery continues.....???
I just called their 800 number as my curiosity was getting the best of me. Talked to a guy named Greg, and he says the manifold is in stock. ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Let's just clear this up~ that place has the manifold like down below in the picture?:eek: No, it cannot be, it's impossible!:p If so, I wonder if they would do a group buy?^_^

I just called their 800 number as my curiosity was getting the best of me. Talked to a guy named Greg, and he says the manifold is in stock. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I bought the manifold for my 1.8, I noticed it was a bit different from the original that had cracked. It appeared to be beefier in the webbing area between #3 and 4 exhaust tubes. I can't help but wonder if they beefed up the 1.6 as well. I have pictures of the two on my pc, but I am on the wifes laptop as my computer is in the ER getting a virus eradicated

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
If true, they are possibly the only people in the world that have one. Actually I'd be curious if he would give you a part number so I could check it with the EPC. Interesting!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
If true, they are possibly the only people in the world that have one. Actually I'd be curious if he would give you a part number so I could check it with the EPC. Interesting!!

Bex, when I called and talked to Greg, at first he said he needed a VIN, which of course I did not have because I don't have a 1.6. He kept saying he couldn't help me out without the VIN as there are several 1.6 16v manifolds. I explained I was just trying to find out if ANY 16v manifold are available, and that is when he said they have them in stock.

It was kind of odd because he was adamant about needing a VIN, then all of a sudden he said they were in stock. So, I don't know exactly which one. I assume the only differences are emissions related.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Chances are he has a similar EPC to what I have, which can find parts for your car with the VIN. But I really would have to question the availability of the 16v manifold. In all the time that I have been on this forum, I have never found anyone to be able to locate a factory 16v exhaust manifold. Ever. I am thinking that perhaps this guy is just reading from his computer, rather than actually having the part.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I guess the only way to find out for sure is if someone orders it or calls with a VIN and ask him to check if it positively is in stock. Like I said earlier SW Suzuki had my 1.8 manifold in stock but it looks like it has been upgraded, possibly that is the case with the 1.6. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I've been buying from Suzuki Depot (Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store) for years. Recently, I needed an exhaust manifold to replace the cracked manifold on the 1.6 liter 8-valve engine in my 1989 Sidekick JX. The online catalog showed that it was available so I called and Suzuki Depot looked up my VIN. Unfortunately, my manifold is on "national back-order."

The last several orders that I've placed with Suzuki Depot and with Southwest Suzuki have resulted in cancelled orders or unavailable parts. Fortunately, Suzuki Depot is still in business but the availability of parts has been low.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.