Suzuki Forums banner

Crabbing of front tyres 2017 Ignis

10K views 54 replies 12 participants last post by  245373 
#1 ·
In low speed, tight lock situations - the front wheels of my Ignis stutter or crab. When reversing on lock out of a tight parking space, for example, it's as if you've run over something and the car moves momentarily to one side. It's very disconcerting. Googling indicates that it's quite a significant problem on some cars and it's aggravated by cold weather (stiffens the tyre walls) and gets worse as tyres wear. Mercedes have solved the problem on some models by fitting all season tyres free of charge. Anyone suffer from this on their Ignis?

#3 ·
Ours does it too.

Yes our 2016 SZT has it. Dealer looked at it and could not find any fault.
This was before I found out about tyres causing this. Must admit it has got a lot worse here since the cold weather has arrived in the UK.

Will look in the morning what tyres are on the car. What tyres are on yours.

Thanks

#4 ·
my 2015 GV does this with cold 8 ply sidewall tyres too. I ignore it. the 2013 is on softer tyres and doesn't do it.

#5 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only person to have this issue. I've had the car around 2 weeks and only notice it when on full or nearly full lock. Just feels like the tyres are rubbing something underneath or the feel you get when a car understeers. I have the car booked into be looked at on Wednesday so will see what they say.

#6 ·
Tyres are Bridgestone Ecopia - ridiculously expensive tyres at around £115 each fitted. Although no sign of undue wear - twisting and releasing of the tyre on full lock can't be good. The issue is the steering feel and the knock when manoeuvring on lock - my wife keeps thinking that she's hit or run over something and is now nervous about driving at speed "because there's a steering fault". The problem is worse in cold weather and when the tyres are cold. Additionally I think that the problem is getting worse as the tyre treads are wearing.
I'll take it to Suzuki at some point but I'm sure they'll say that the steering / suspension has been checked and is OK.

If I keep the car, I'll fit Falken AS200 all season tyres when required (around £60 fitted). It seems that the softer wall of an all season tyre is a common answer to the issue on other cars.

I'm also going to write to Suzuki and it would be good to report that mine isn't an isolated case.

#7 ·
We've just collected our car. The dealer said they can find no issues and there is no evidence of rubbing or excessive wear. They also said this is a known issue and has been raised with Suzuki Technical, awaiting feedback. It almost seems like they should restrict the steering lock slightly.... watch this space

#8 ·
I've written to Suzuki so will be interested in their response - I'll report back in due course. Mine has got worse as the tyres have worn. Certainly on my car, you'd need to restrict the lock quite considerably in order to prevent the issue. My wife finds it very unnerving - she keeps thinking she's run over or clipped something.

#9 ·
what happens if you add 5 psi to the tyres?

#10 · (Edited)
It seems the old Ignis 4Grip problem (cheap and nasty AWD) has been retained and carried over to the new generation Ignis??????????

It all good to have a race and rally system where tyres and gravel are at no expense spared levels for the WRC, but seriously, this system is not really practical for everyday tarmac driving.

I could be wrong.

#12 ·
It seems the old Ignis 4Grip problem (cheap and nasty AWD) has been retained and carried over to the new generation Ignis??????????
... but are we talking 2WD, 4WD or both here.

I think I've noticed it twice in this very cold weather - but only when just starting off - once the tyres have warmed a bit it's not happening.

2WD here...

#11 ·
I've had 4 people in the car + luggage and set the tyre pressures to full load pressures. If anything the issue is worse presumably because the tyre walls are stiffer at higher pressures. Intuitively, the issue should be better if the tyre pressures are reduced. There are many reasons why this is not a good idea - including the fact that the TPMS will be in a constant alarm condition.

#14 ·
Suzuki have responded and basically said that they will only communicate with their dealers who in turn have access to a technical department. Booked in for the 13th Feb. The issue has been very bad during the very cold weather over the last few days.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
crabbing

interested i purchasing but emailed Suzuki to see what their response was. "Technical Dept say not aware of particular issue you describe". They go on to say "it is not unusual for such forums to contain inaccurate and unsubstantiated information".
Very helpful, one would think that Suzuki UK would be interested in what Suzuki owners say, perhaps a email to Suzuki CEO would get a more helpful response

#22 ·
Suzuki are aware of the issue - my dealer, for one, has been in contact with Suzuki technical after examining the car, and I'm aware of others who have asked their dealer to pursue the issue. I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to own up to an issue - it's not something they generally do. I suspect that Suzuki are deciding on a way forward before responding to the dealers technical query. I'll report back when my dealer has had a response.

#23 ·
The dealer has now had a response from Suzuki. Suzuki have asked them to replace the two outer CV joints which the dealer has now ordered. Personally I think that they are completely on the wrong track - the issue isn't "knock on lock" which is symptomatic of worn or damaged CV's. The issue only occurs when the tyres are very cold and it's unlikely that several owners would by suffering from CV joint issues. Additionally the symptoms are not those displayed by worn or damaged CV's. I'm debating whether to let the dealer get on with it and waste Suzuki's money and my time or whether to get Suzuki to give me the reasons for reaching their conclusion.

#28 ·
It's going off topic a little ........however, warranty labour rate is significantly less than the dealers normal rate and parts are free issue with just a small admin charge paid to the dealer. Diagnostic work is a particular bone of contention. There is also a level of authorisation required from the manufacturer before the work can proceed. Warranty work is part of the franchise arrangements and in reality - dealers would prefer to focus on normal retail work.

#29 ·
My wifes car is due in on Wednesday, she was planning on mentioning the issues she (and others) have been experiencing but was going to play a little dumb rather than mention the conversation on this forum. Do you think she would be better placed mentioning the concerns raised by other drivers on here as it would seem like Suzuki are aware of certain issues.

She has already had some work on her suspension last year as Suzuki acknowledge a fault. This has deteriorated again and the car sounds like its going to collapse when it goes over a speed bump even at a snails pace.

She has totally lost confidence in this car

#30 ·
The suspension change was an acknowledged upgrade, supposedly introduced following Autocar's criticisms of the ride.

Whenever I tried to discuss things citing from the Qashqai forum with my Nissan dealer he effectively said "What do they know?" and ignored it...

#31 ·
Dealers and manufacturers will claim to disregard reports in forums etc on the basis that the information is poorly formed opinion, conjecture etc etc. They will also claim that issues haven't been raised by other owners even though this is patently not the case. It's all in the interest of playing down issues.

Where manufacturers / dealers wont play ball on genuine grievances, there are other avenues such as involving the Motor Ombudsman or County Court action. There have also been instances of Class Action being taken.

It will be interesting to hear the dealers response to the front wheel crabbing issue.

#34 ·
I've heard nothing since our car went in for the issue to be looked at. The dealer completed the complimentary safety check while it was in. They said the tyre judder is a known issue but Suzuki have not got a fix for this as yet. The dealer said they will be in touch if/when they know more. Not heard a peep since :rolleyes:

The warmer weather definitely seems to have helped. Also, I checked the tyre pressures and they were all set for a fully loaded car. If anything, they were a little high, but that is assuming the air line was calibrated correctly. I reduced the pressures to the lower level as there is normally only 2 adults and 1 child in the car and haven't really heard or felt the judder since. Can't really be sure if it's the temperature or tyre pressure that's improved things unfortunately

#37 ·
Can't really be sure if it's the temperature or tyre pressure that's improved things unfortunately
I notice when I over-inflate tyres, the rolling resistance is reduced and for front, the steering becomes lighter and when I'm out in soft sand or mud (bogged) in my real 4WD, I have had to reduce pressures to 10 to get out of the situation.

IDK what tyres the Ignis has, nor the recommended pressures, but perhaps Suzuki reccomended the high pressure to counter-act a known problem????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.