Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COupler failure is not a hot topic on this SX4 forum and I think it is rather safe to run the AWD SX4 in Auto mode. HOwever, I bought a 2015 Kia SOrento in autumn 2016 and contrary to the SX4, the only options for AWD are AUto and Lock...there is no 2WDonly option, that we have with the SX4.

A very frequent topic with the SOrento (and other KIA/Hyundai cars using same components) is about coupler failure...accompanied with frequent improper AWD application in AWD Auto mode... The electronic AWD module seems to err in some conditions and applies AWD when it should not, leading, with time, to coupler failure. Replacement of the coupler often leads to another coupler faliure down the line. Seeing this, I have temporarily pulled the AWD fuse from my SOrento, and I will install a switch later on to provide the same 2WDonly option we have with the SX4.

COnsequently, and although this problem does not seem to prevail with the SX4, I and my wife now switch the SX4 in 2WD mode most of the time as an extra preventive measure to save the coupler, 4WD not being required 99.9% of the time, specially in no snow conditions, where FWD cars have no problem anyway.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts