Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new here and glad I found this forum. I've owned an '02 Vitara JLX 4dr for 17 years and has nearly 250,000 miles on it. Still going (somewhat) strong! I've been doing some maintenance/repairs on it lately that I've put off for too long. Although the battery starts fine it tests as low battery and I can't find my receipt, even though I keep all receipts for parts. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the battery is at least 4 years old and I need to replace it either way. With the vehicle being almost 20 years old I don't want to spend any more than I have to on things like batteries. So I saw a battery on Rural King's site for less than half most other stores for a Vitara but it said for "2002 L4-1.6L." There was no option to choose 2.0L. I'm in the US by the way and I thought I'd seen that the UK version came in a 1.6L but not the US. Would this battery be ok for my Vitara or should I stick to one that I know is definitely for a 2.0?
Sorry so long-winded on my first post. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
while engine displacement is a rough measure for determining battery size, its the actual CCA rating thats critical, along with terminal configuration and physical size. Find the label on the one you have and compare from there. I have fitted 660CCA batteries in my 3rd gen GV's as opposed to the 380 CCA they ship with. Nice easy starting.

Cheaping out on a battery is false economy in my opinion, pay a bit extra and your starting and charging system will thank you for it, especially in winter.

Reactions: ChuckC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had a chance to check my current battery's CCA but I'm guessing/hoping 550 CCAs would be more than sufficient. That's what one of the batteries I'm thinking about getting has.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
It's been a habit of mine for decades to fit the highest capacity battery that fits in the available space, even if that means customizing the clamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts