Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 88 samurai and will be lifting it with a SPOA kit 3-5 inches and am in the market for some M/T sidebiter wheels 15x8 they will be paired up with 31x10.50 toyo open countrys but the rims are only available with a 3 1/2 inch backspacing...i was told that the correct backspacing would be 2 1/2 but that these would work...any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since im buying them on monday...thanks alot and i will post some pics soon.:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 10.5 on a 31 diameter is going to need the backspacing if you take a corner sharp or turn the wheel to its stops. It's not going to rub a lot, but the tread on that tire is pretty agressive on the sides and if you bite into your leaf spring then you tire can walk up it and bend an axle really quick. If you don't have another wheel option, then I would look into a spacer. The bolt on spacers are expensiive, but they're the best spacer to get for something in the 1" range.

there are also shim type spacers that don't bolt on, but Anything over 1/2" for a shim type spacer and you will need to install longer bolts. That coupled with the slopiness of a shim type spacer will probably end up sheering your bolts off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so do i need the 1 inch spacer? i have no problem buying them i think they are about $100 U.S...so with the 3 1/2 inch backspacing the tires might sit too close in ward when i turn?
and what is the ideal backspacing needed to have no problems.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it depends on the tire diameter and the width of the tread. On a 31/10.50 the 2.5" backspacing will be just fine and shouldn't rub at all. You could go with a 3.5" and you wouldn't rub under most on-road driving conditions. You really have to crank it over to the stops for it to grab a spring. For street driving it's not that big a deal since you'll be traveling at a crawl when preforming that tight of a manuever and you probably won't be in 4wd. If you'r bogging mud or riding the dunes, your hubs are locked in and you grab a tread, the results are a little more disasterous.

The more back spacing the better though. It will increase your turn radius a minimal amount, but will add more stability and enable you to upgrade to a larger size tire without needing new rims. A 33/12.50 will need about a 1 inch backspacing, anything larger than that should upgrade to larger toyota axles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts