Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I've posted anything but I have a problem with the Suzi's cooling system which has me stumped. Here are the symptoms: No visible coolant leaks, No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant, Engine operating at normal temperature (temp gauge showing just below half way). Suzi still maintains normal road speeds, in the suburbs or on the highway.

Now for the problem, the cooling system pressurises to such a point that the cap on the expansion tank blows off with such force it spews coolant throughout the engine bay. To try and troubleshoot the problem I have taken the hose from the expansion tank and placed it into a clear container with coolant and ran the motor. In less than a minute of starting the motor, bubbles start to appear from the hose and continue while the motor is running.

I have replaced the radiator cap and thermostat thinking that was the problem but no luck, the problem is still there. I am now thinking a blown head gasket or worse, a cracked head or block. At no time did the engine overheat.

If I knew how to insert a video into this thread I would include the video I took of the bubbles, maybe someone can help me on this as well. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can help me.

·
Super Moderator
17,577 Posts
I am now thinking a blown head gasket or worse, a cracked head or block
I'd have to concur. :(

There are test kits on the market for identifying exhaust gases in coolant. You may want to take advantage of the test to confirm your suspicions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
With bubbles in the coolant tank, do you also get more coolant ?
Have you done a compression test ?
Are the rad hoses staying round ? Not collapsed.
Usually the symptoms you recount lead to head gasket but check out simpler solutions before you remove the head.
good luck !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With bubbles in the coolant tank, do you also get more coolant ?
Have you done a compression test ?
Are the rad hoses staying round ? Not collapsed.
Usually the symptoms you recount lead to head gasket but check out simpler solutions before you remove the head.
good luck !!
The bubbles are displacing the coolant so I need to top up.
Compression for each pot is 175-180psi.
All hoses are keeping their shape and not collapsing.

I spoke to one of the mechanics where I work and he suggested trying Chemiweld or Seal Up. Both products are used for fixing leaks in the cooling system including cracked heads and head gaskets. For around 10-15 dollars a bottle it sure is a much easier way to fix my problem than pulling the head off. I'll try it over the weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a bottle of Seal Up for $12, followed the instructions to the letter and the problem is fixed. The Suzi's back on the road running like a champ. Don't know whether it was a blown head gasket or a crack in the head. I suppose I'll find out when I eventually have to pull the head. I don't think I would attempt this type of "repair" more than once.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh forget about the head gasket The " Mechanic in the bottle" solved your problem!
Sorry Had to kid you a bit. I mean I would be concerned about it but if you are in no danger of getting stranded and stay pretty close to home give it a try (since you already have) Ive wondered if retourqing the head bolts might help too but never tried it. But basicaly you got a cracked head or blown head gaskit and Ive never tried any of that sealer stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts