Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 sx4 2.0
At cold start up cooling fan comes on ? Check to see if any of the 3 cooling relays are bad I removed all 3 relays and still the fan comes on with key n the on position.
Can someone help.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,688 Posts
I would be looking for a short to power in harness..

·
Registered
882 Posts
fIll up profile/signature with all car details and location

with all 3 relays removed, hard to see how the fan can run. Anyway, since in PortoRico , make sure a/c is off and heater not in DEF(full or partial) ...just to confirm the condenser fan is off. YOu can also pull of the #10 30A fuse and see what happens

Reactions: Bigboy4005

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, found hidden wire from fan to fuse box (this is why they were consently running) I disconnected wire and now fans do not come on while engine is running Check relays all good new coolant temp sensor still fans do not come on?
Did continuity test on harness,all ok removed fan relay and jump its terminal,fan comes on.
Installed a different coolant temp sensors to the connector with key on engine off heated up the tip of the sensor to bring to high temp,still fans don't come on?? But , if unplug the coolant temperature sensor while the key is on, the fans come on😤

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
coolant sensor 1 or 2 wire? if its 1 wire, the body has to be grounded for it to work. another option is a faulty ECM, this may be why they jumped the fan in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coolant sensor 1 or 2 wire? if its 1 wire, the body has to be grounded for it to work. another option is a faulty ECM, this may be why they jumped the fan in the first place.
2 wire sensor ok , but if ECM is bad why would fans come on when I disconnect the coolant sensor plug? And when I jump the fan relays?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Jumping fan relays will turn fans on, you are effectively bypassing them.

As to why the fan comes on with the sensor unplugged, the ecm will be detecting an open circuit on the sensor and going to a safe condition which is to turn fans on.

The sense side for temperature turn on could still be faulty in the ecm however. Further investigation is required to find the exact resistance that will make the ecm trigger the fans, then see what temperature that corresponds to at the sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jumping fan relays will turn fans on, you are effectively bypassing them.

As to why the fan comes on with the sensor unplugged, the ecm will be detecting an open circuit on the sensor and going to a safe condition which is to turn fans on.

The sense side for temperature turn on could still be faulty in the ecm however. Further investigation is required to find the exact resistance that will make the ecm trigger the fans, then see what temperature that corresponds to at the sensor.
Understand thanks so much. I bought a new cts and installed it nothing Happened still fans did not come on removed cts and did a ohms test and got a reading of 2.00 ohms on the sensor now, I removed the cts again this time I plug the cts to the harness and with cigarette lighter I heated the tip of the sensor thinking it would turn fans on, nothing! Now, I took the old cts did an ohms test (200 scale ) and the reading was 1.50 ohms and then heated the tip on the cts and to my surprise the fans came on:ROFLMAO:. The only thing I noticed was the both CTS are of different colors the original is brown and the new one (the one did not work) was black I assume that have different ohms value also, I cleaned the pins that are inside the old cts.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
heating it with a cigar lighter is not the correct method, you need to use hot water as these sensors are not designed to operate in air with a concentrated heat source such as a lighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts