Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my VW, the temp gauge "notches" - that is, it will read dead center even though the thermostat will cycle and actual temp will go up & down somewhat with that normal cycling. VW says their owners don't like seeing the gauge move around...:confused: Anyway, wondered for some time if my '04 GV does the same thing - and the answer is yes. Temp varied from 186-204 via Scan Gauge with no change in dash gauge indication. Just a data point for those who are curious!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm actually not at all surprised by the fact that the gauge on the dash does not fluctuate with actual measured temperature. The dash gauges in most vehicles are known to be rather inaccurate and are mainly to be used as general guidelines to monitor potential problems. If the dash gauge drops all the way one way or the other, then you know you've got some serious issues......if you hook up a mechanical oil gauge to the oil pressure sender port you'll probably find that the oil pressure also fluctuates a considerable amount depending on engine rpm and temperature.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understand it's not "accurate", and it actually doesn't have any numbers to check for accuracy, just a span above which is the "red" zone - presumably too high, indicating overheating. In the '80's, all my cars' temp gauges would drift with normal thermostat cycling and I got used to that, actually paying attention to it when I was driving hard. Now, none of my cars do that, all their coolant temp gauges are, as I stated in my first post above, "notched". Just for those who might look at this indication while troubleshooting. Made the observation while off-roading in the Sierra's, in part climbing up a ski run. These cars are a lot of fun!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts