Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sidekick started losing a lot of coolant last month and I've spent ages trying to find the source of the leak. After Pressure testing and looking for trails with a UV dye I decided to remove my engine to inspect the rear of the block.

I believe I have finally found the source of the leak! A plate on the back of the block. Does anyone know what this plate is for or the part number for the gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a4 door, 4wd, 1991 sidekick, 8v 1.6L, g16a engine made in Japan

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just a block off plate
Looks as if the gasket died. I would go down to the local parts store and get a piece of gasket material and some rtv2 silicone and replace it. Probably doesn't need to be fancy, just a rectangle.Lay it over the plate and use a ball pien hammer to tap the bolt holes into it and you're all set. Probably just a casting clean out hole.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Remove plate, clean plate and block face, flush with brake clean, apply a good RTV (black/grey).

Reinstall plate, mount engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is a metal gasket behind that plate. I'm currently cleaning this off and hoping to reuse it because I can't find a new gasket. The rtv or rubber seal on it had definitely worn through where the leak was coming from.

I do have a sheet of paper gasket for oil and coolant that I could use but am not sure how that would hold up with temperatures back there.

Will I be better using the old metal gasket or a new paper gasket. I would use black silicone rtv either way.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I would do the fix without the paper, that just adds another separation...

Apply the RTV, install plate finger tight (so as not to squeeze all the gasket out), let cure overnight, torque nuts to suit.. Fix good for 2 more decades...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts