Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone,

Just got the cylinder head out of my 1995 1.6L 16v 4WD SWB Vitara yesterday.
Cleaned it up and honed it with 400 grit wet sandpaper. Tested it thoroughly with a steel ruler and a 0.05mm feeler guage and it passed??

This motor drove almost 2000km with water in the oil. Had to stop and refill the radiator every 60km or so. Did 2 oil changes. Drove with the cab heater on. It made it back and seemed to run ok considering the oil had the viscosity of toothpaste :(

Now I wonder if the head was blown at all? Maybe there is another point at which the coolant can enter the oil? It was going through coolant very rapidly but I never found a drop under the car, or on the engine.

Thermostat seemed in bad condition. Water pump is corroded and the bearing seems stiff. Still havent flushed the radiator or checked that it even flows.

Here is the head gasket i removed

The other side

Is this normal

What do you think?

I have heaps of pics so let me know if I should upload anything specific.

Really appreciate any feedback guys :)

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Unfortunately, the photos would not load for me. You can attach them directly to this post by selecting "Go Advance" in your reply and the "insert image" icon (just under the left pointing arrow) in the top menu bar. In your case, the photos would be very helpful in determining the extent of damage, if any. Regardless, glad you got it home and hope you get it running again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops, the pics show up for me :)

I have uploaded the pictures as attachments, hopefully that works..

Thanks for the support, I really hope she will run again.

I also hope its not a cracked crank case mixing my oil and water.

PS thanks fordem :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Whoops, the pics show up for me :)

I have uploaded the pictures as attachments, hopefully that works..

Thanks for the support, I really hope she will run again.

I also hope its not a cracked crank case mixing my oil and water.

PS thanks fordem :)
check that little bit between the copper ring and the water jacket, bottom right middle pic, thats where the issue is likely to be. Thats the pressure feed to the overhead gear and the water jacket is close by.

Head gaskets do fail unfortunately, over time things move and bolts can loosen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad the photos came through for others. I guess the electrons just haven't made it to New Mexico yet! Coming by Pony Express.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wear on the gasket around the oil feed and oil return seems to be the same as the rest of it. But I have no idea what I'm looking at tbh.

Is it possible to perform the pressure test while the motor is disassembled?

Some head bolts did seem looser than others.

Quick background\Recent history:

Driving through the desert on an unformed track 2 weeks ago. Checking fluids etc every morning. Notice one morning that the air bellows has a large tear in one of the inside folds, about 1\2 the pipe was torn. No idea how long it was like that and we had been down 1000km+ unsealed very dusty roads to get to the desert to begin with.

I assumed that at this point the intake must be full of dust. I marveled that it still ran, duct taped the hell out of it and hoped it would be ok untill we got back to town.

2 days later the largest dune was ahead and most people were going round. I checked the fuids and with some advice we managed to go over. It took a sustained climb in 2nd gear low, 6000rpm, 9 psi in the tyres. Then when I made it up I was so excited I switched her off immediately. :(

I did this two more times.

about 600km later I noticed water in the oil and went into life support mode. Water every 60km, oil changes etc.

Just so we are all on the same page about what happened.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
oils at 60 psi, waters about 15, thats a 45 psi differential, if any head bolt in that area is even 10 lb/ft loose, oil will find its way across that wee gap and into the water,

Get the head pressure tested and reassemble with a permatorque gasket and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
The discussion centers around water in the oil, not oil in the cooling system, slightly different scenarios.

I've been told that the 16v engines have a core plug some where under the cam cover which can cause significant coolant loss into the sump, it shouldn't be too difficult to see if there is any truth to that tale if the head is off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Core plug. ok I will have a research and a look.

Does anyone have any photographic reference for this plug?

I have booked the cylinder head in to be pressure tested.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I have booked the cylinder head in to be pressure tested.
that will find it, which is why i suggested it....if its leaking it will be obvious. Its one of the several sealing plugs they insert after manufacture, looks like a block freeze plug but smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice.

I will post the results of the pressure test :)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
You mentioned the water pump bearings,
you could have a leaky seal in the pump.
There is a hole in the block, down below to let oil drain back into the the pan which would drain water just as easily.

We have all seen a weeping water pump, these are just covered.

Time for a water pump & timing belt too.

Don

:huh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definately putting a new water pump in with the belt kit this time. Did the timing belt 45000km ago, but didn't touch the water pump.

Would be great if thats the problem :)

Cylinder head goes to the shop tomorrow.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
You mentioned the water pump bearings,
you could have a leaky seal in the pump.
There is a hole in the block, down below to let oil drain back into the the pan which would drain water just as easily.

We have all seen a weeping water pump, these are just covered.

Time for a water pump & timing belt too.

Don

:huh:

As far as I'm aware, there is no way for a leaking pump to contaminate the lube system.

The water pump bearings are "sealed for life", the seal allows the shaft to rotate without coolant being lost - a leaking seal allows coolant to dribble down the outside of the engine, not into any oil return leading into the pan.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Here are photos of a 16v cyl. head w/o the cam. The pencil is pointing to one of the plugs, there are 3.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Your right, I mixed up my GV engine with my trackers.

Rough bearings always meant a leaky seal in a water pump.
It would be on my to do list.

OK, back to sleep.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the support guys :)

I found the 3 core plugs, apart from being a bit dirty there is no visual sign that anything is wrong. They are still there at least...

But the pressure test will tell :)

If the pressure test comes back OK, is there a chance that something is wrong with the crank case? Can a large amount of water enter the lube in the bottom end of the motor?

I hate throwing parts at the problem, at this stage I would almost welcome the news that the head is damaged, just to have identified the issue.:mellow:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I just got the head back from the shop.

The bloke at the shop was able to spot a tiny detail that he seemed certain was a gasket failure. I had honed the surface with 400 grit paper and that apparently made it possible for him to detect a tiny trough, untouched by the sanding, between water jacket and cylinder.

He also asked if the head bolts were all up to torque, to which I replied that they did not seem to be.

Pressure test came back 100% and he milled 5 thousands of an inch off.

He said he rarely gets cylinder heads come in in such good condition, and hes certain it just needs new gaskets (confidence +1) :)

I read in the service manual that on rough or muddy roads, the head bolts should be re-tightened every 40,000km. So we were overdue...

So I have the gasket set, the water pump and hoses hopefully come tomorrow. Still need to order the timing belt kit. And a thermostat.

I'm going to use my photos and the torque guide to make a process to put this all back together before I start.

I will probably still need help before this is over!!

Cheers guys :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys but can anyone tell me what these things are called, so I can figure out what they are and where they go? There are 16 of them :)

Thanks again :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts