Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have destroyed my automatic transmission radiator. The radiator shop is 5-10 minutes away. Can I drive there without a cooling system. I have never owned a vehicle with a seperate AT cooler before. I know that the engine takes a certain amount of operation before it is hot enough to open the thermostat. I just don't know how this all effects the transmission. Thanks--MJK

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Get someone to tow you with a tow strap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. In the past i have had the misfortune of having a radiator leak in the middle of nowhere and was able to "limp home" by driving a few miles until the temp guage started crossing the line and then turning off the engine until it cooled down and then driving a few more miles and so on. Until now, I never gave the transmission a thought. I think I will replace the AT radiator myself. The engine radiator appears to be undamaged. I will find out soon enough. Thanks again--MJK

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If your transmission cooler is not part of the engine radiator, it is an aftermarket add-on. The stock system uses a "loop" in the lower tank of the engine radiator. The aftermarket coolers are normally replaced when bad, not repaired. (So why do you need to get to a radiator shop?) You COULD find out what is wrong with the radiator, or why it isn't being used for the transmission.

Just a note: OEM style radiators are fairly cheap on eBay and the like. They do not cost much more than having a radiator shop just CHECK OUT the old one... not including fixing anything they find.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just a note: OEM style radiators are fairly cheap on eBay and the like. They do not cost much more than having a radiator shop just CHECK OUT the old one... not including fixing anything they find.
A word of caution here, many have purchased the wrong radiator. Make sure you have all your measurements, and they jibe with the manufacturer's, if not, don't order, phone them and ask questions. If you're lucky enough to have a quality radiator shop near you, use them, and have them order for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
he post is very confusing but I think you are saying that there is a separate tranny cooler and it is bad. If it is bad are you leaking fluid?
You can bypass the cooler on the rad with a separate one like those used for trailer towing, they cost about 50 bucks. If you are only going a short distance you can loop the hoses bypassing a cooler completely, this is only for an emergency. Stop frequently.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The current 2 radiator set up was installed at a near by radiator place a couple of years ago. I refered to that shop in my original question. Is ther anything wrong with the way they did it? I haven't had any problems.The car was in a minor accident and the radiator(s) were damaged. Thanks--MJK

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize that this "2 radiator system" was different from the original stock. I simply wanted to know if I could drive it for a few minutes without coolant. These-radiators will not hold coolant. One or both were damaged damaged in a minor accident . I believe that the answer is that I cannot drive it without any coolant at all which means that I can't drive it since it won't hold any coolant. I thought I could drive until the engine warmed up. Thanks--MJK

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
quick answer... NO.

The "coolant" used in the transmission cooler is the transmission fluid. This is the hydraulic fluid that is used inside the automatic transmission to activate clutches, gears and stuff. It is the working medium of the torque converter. It also is used to remove the heat generated in the transmission. The cooler can be bypassed for a VERY SHORT drive, but it will not move without "coolant." (Transmission fluid.)

The engine will require some kind of coolant also but will start and move without it.
BUT You are taking a chance of damaging something without coolant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot. I didn't know that. That is very good information because (I think) it tells me that the ATF cooler is in tact because I haven't lost any transmission fluid. I checked that before i moved the car off the sreet. Maybe I could by a duplicate of the radiator that is in there and just keep the ATF cooler. I've been confused because i never saw this kind of set up before and just assumed that coolant circulated through both radiators. I'm no mechanic. I work on my own vehicles by necessity so everyone's help is most appreciated. I just take it slow and try to digest what i learn here before i make a move. Thanks again--MJK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts