Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I would like to convert to tilt steering. I have access to a 1989 tilt column but not sure if work required is worth the swap. My only real concern is the dash and kick panel. Has anyone made this upgrade?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
What are you putting it in? --- Year, model... number of doors... things like that.

If it has airbags (generally '96 and up), I suspect that it would -not- be a good idea.

'89 (2 door) into anything up to a '95 2 door, I don't see a problem. It does take a different snap-in insert under the column on the dash. ('92 to '95)

As I have a '94 4 door with tilt, and it LOOKS the same, it is likely into a four door would work also.

That said....

I don't move any of my tilt columns. I doubt you will see any real benefit that would justify the work needed. (Just say'n.)

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
I think the "worth the effort" decision is a personal one, and going to be determined by things such as the build of the driver and the position of the 'non-tilt' column & wheel. One of my cars does not have a tilt column and if I could find one I would certainly consider swapping it. For most people it's a set & forget, but if the driver's position is not right it can be a major issue.

I'm travelling right now, and driving a rental - when I picked it up the last user had the wheel at the lowest position and the top of it blocked my view of the dash instruments - I had to adjust it up, and as far away from me as it could go, and still had to recline the seat to find a comfortable driver's position

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s going in the vehicle in my signature. I agree that it’s a personal deciding if the work involved is worth the benefit. I was asking if anyone has already performed this mod. That would help me decide. I don’t want to have to swap out the dash. It looks like I may need to cut the dash or lower panel to allow for the adjusting lever and maybe the column.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It’s going in the vehicle in my signature. I agree that it’s a personal deciding if the work involved is worth the benefit. I was asking if anyone has already performed this mod. That would help me decide. I don’t want to have to swap out the dash. It looks like I may need to cut the dash or lower panel to allow for the adjusting lever and maybe the column.

Thanks
As a tall one, I would love a tilt wheel and a telescoping one would be even better!
B95

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a tall one, I would love a tilt wheel and a telescoping one would be even better!
B95
My wife uses the Kick so it would be nice to be able to adjust. I went ahead and bought the column (tilt only 1989) so I’ll follow up with this post when I get around to working on it.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
B95
the only tall ones we get here are brown, alcoholic and have foam on the top :p

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to do a follow up on this project. This was a real easy job. It took me about an hour total to finish. Everything unbolted/unscrews very easy. Basically just a bolt on deal with only mod being the little plastic lower dash cover needs a little slot cut for steering wheel adjusting mechanism.

Big question asked earlier is it worth it? I think so. The difference in drop was only about two inches and even though I could have used another 1/2-1” (I’m only 5’7”) it still feels a lot better. When I refoam my seats that will help some more.

·
Super Moderator
23,731 Posts
Thanks for the update. Actually, when I first got the Tracker, I felt the steering wheel was too high - I had been driving a Miata, with a tilting steering wheel. But I fairly quickly got used to it, so never went further into putting one into the Trackey. Glad that this has worked out for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey
I would like to convert to tilt steering. I have access to a 1989 tilt column but not sure if work required is worth the swap. My only real concern is the dash and kick panel. Has anyone made this upgrade?

Thanks
Mike
[/QUO
Thanks for the update. Actually, when I first got the Tracker, I felt the steering wheel was too high - I had been driving a Miata, with a tilting steering wheel. But I fairly quickly got used to it, so never went further into putting one into the Trackey. Glad that this has worked out for you.
I swap 1993 tilt wheel to my 1991 sidekick works well. Do not get much movement when you tilt the wheel. Used the key from the 93 could not get the ignition out of the 91. Also need new peace of plastic under the steering column for the tilt lever. No dash Mod.needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts