Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got a lot on my plate now. I just ordered the 5 inch SPOA and adapter plate/ring from rocky road. I already have a 1990 1.6 8v and the power steering. The biggest question I have is what do I need to do to fit the power steering to my frame and factory steering. I know there have been hundreds of threads on here about power steering conversions. I've looked for 3 days now at all of them. I may have missed the one I need...but im not trying to fit this setup to a stock sami motor its already bolted to the motor it is supposed to be on. I just need to know if there is a plate to bolt to the frame or if i can drill it out. Every company I've found that sells the conversion kit wants to sell you everything and I dont need that. I need the plate. Hopefully someone knows the answer so I can start the long process this weekend. I'll be uploading pictures when its done. Installing 5in SPOA, 1.6 8v, power steering, building rear tube bumper, and building rock sliders. Any suggestions?:D

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
call Petroworks... they used to sell the wedge by itself.
I would also suggest the Petroworks heavy duty clutch while doing the engine swap.

Hopefully you have better luck with Rocky road than most....
good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing it after the completion.

I had a good experience with Rocky Road; extremely friendly people. Only problem is being slow on delivery of parts they retail.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing it after the completion.

I had a good experience with Rocky Road; extremely friendly people. Only problem is being slow on delivery of parts they retail.
You're one of the few. It's unfortunate because they have a strong web presence, offer a lot of products for the Suzuki, and they have decent prices. This ensnares a lot of new commers and they get the hard reality of Bad or No service, poor quality control, and extreme delays in shipping.

Thoroughly check your product when you recieve it to make sure there are no missing parts, look carefully for poor welds, and previously used merchendise. If you have any issues, start your attempts to contact them immediately cause it may take a few days for you to get through to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already noticed slow communications with them but that doesn't bug me to much so long as I get my parts. Hopefully they won't be messed up when I get them. I called around today to pretty much every company selling parts for samurai and no one sells the adapter plate for the power steering by itself. Go figure....Does anyone know if the samurai pitman arm will even attach to the sidekick power steering? I had bought 2wd sidekick and yanked the motor out and sold some parts and a guy wanted the whole thing and after he had it loaded and was gone I realized I didn't have the pitman arm. So hopefully someone can tell me it will work before i dive in to deep and have to hunt for one. Suzuki is hard to find around here everyone that has them drives them everyday or stockpiles them for spare parts for the ones they drive.

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my opinion, with OTT steering you don't need power steering. It is already fairly light and easy to steer. I have 33" tires without power steering and the steering is impressively light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't see why anyone would have problems passing a smog test. The motors are almost identical and so long as the motor you are putting in is a good running motor and you install properly keeping all of the sensors no one will know unless you tell them. Or they are a suzuki freak. But thankfully the good ol' state of tennessee hasn't gone to emissions testing. Some counties do but here in the smoky mountains we don't have to worry about it.And as a side note all of the emission/smog equipment on my samurai has been removed and bypassed not an easy task but well worth the time and effort if you can get away with it. Also as far as rocky goes I checked ups and it will be here monday and I ordered everything first of this week so quick shipping....guess I was lucky this time around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts