Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
16,174 Posts
The reclining seatback is another way to do that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reclining seatback is another way to do that.
If the angle of the back is not important to you, yes, that can work. Otherwise, you get to mitigate that adjustment at the cost of going too straight, and therefore uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to do a quick write up going over if an 2006-2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara is right for you. I live in Suzuki’s secound home BC Canada, and have owned all 3 gens of the grand vitara. 93 sidekick 01 xl7 and now this one a 07 grand vitara. I still have my 93 but my 01 no longer.

Right away the Grand vitara and XL7 of this generation are very different and I will not comment on the xl7, only the grand vitara. I own an 07 grand vitara fully loaded. Mine is red with a beige leather interior with wood grain accents. Power train is all Suzuki with the updated 2.7L V6 which is an updated design on the old gen (01-06) xl7 motor with the new one sporting VVT and an updated intake. These motors fixed the timing chain issues that donned on 2.5/2.7 motors from the previous generations. Check your oil often and changes on time are paramount. This is paired with a 5 speed auto. The transmission shifts smooth, but is quick to downshift in cruise control going from 5th cruising at 2k rpm to 3rd at 4.5k rpm. It is easy to see when a hill is coming and turn off cruise to manage the hill yourself. The trans does have a weak point- it does not give the option for being in secound gear. Only L,3,4 and drive. Coming down an FSR in L is too low and 3rd is too quick. it would be a better trans to have 3rd be replaced with a 2nd gear option. Mine was kitted with the selectable transfer case with the switch and the ability of 4L. This makes trails a breeze and just the right amount of torque. The vehicle with its lift and all gets about 400-450KM a tank for 52-55 litres. If you didn’t have the lift and tires I’d hope it gets better but that’s what I am expirencing. With a rooftop tent I got 325KM out of the same 55 litres. The 2.7 was only available in 06-07 vehicles and was replaced by a I4 or a gm 3.5. Out of the three the most reliable would be the 2.7 then the 3.5 then the i4 in my opinion.

Suspension and underbody: When I bought mine it came with a 2 inch suspension lift. It does give the vehicle more height and bigger tires were fitted (245/65/17). The suspension is independent all the way around with cv shafts powering the vehicle. The vehicle is all time 4wd but shifts power from one axel at a time front to back so only rear or front is powering the vehicle along unless put in 4x4 lock. The cvs and unibody construction probably would not hold up to every weekend abuse but that will have to wait to stand the test of time. The radiator is really low on the front, so if considering to do any hardcore wheeling a skid plate is a must. I do not have one fitted at this time.

Interior:

I am a big guy at 6’4” and 260LBS. Suzuki’s have always been good at giving head room even my 93 has tons of space. But the vehicle is a compact, leaving a small console for drinks and a cubby. The doors in the front also sport cup holders with the rear getting a fold out dual holder attached to the centre console. I find the vehicle quite comfy with the seat all the way back and a slight recline, but leg room could be roomier. The rear seats leave little room but recline back to remain comfy. Mine is beige heated leather. The seats have held up so far and heat nicely. The controls for the HVAC do look a bit gaudy but I do appreciate the use of real buttons and dials. The ac blows cold and has been used through heat waves this summer. The little screen provides updates on if the seatbelt is not fastened. I find the sensitivity on the passenger side a little light, with items like a heavy bag, or grocery’s setting off the seatbelt sensor. The steering wheel controls worked with the factory stereo but I have since upgraded. My factory stereo had the aux mod installed, but was quiet. I upgraded to a JVC apple car play stereo now and it is better. The speakers are ok but I will be replacing and installing an amp. The sunroof works as well and is quite nice and a decent size. The previous owner ripped out the inner fender liner leaving the road noise to be quite loud. The exhaust is stock but the motor is quite growly as well. If you like peace and tranquillity do not remove the fender liners. The fuses in the interior are an odd size, and are called low profile mini fuses. Important if one goes out.

Dog kennel:
This is a big one for people out there. I searched for a while to see if a kennel would fit with the backseats up. (Big plus as I am a k9 handler) I have a kennel 365 and I would like my backseats functional. And I can report a size L fits with the backseats up and a slight recline! I have a length wise door so it is perfect for the trunk area. It leaves little room for the leash/vest and my own uniform but it all fits in the back leaving the front a bit fresher.

Feel free to drop comments as I am here to help everyone and want to make people feel confident in their Choice of considering a Suzuki. It is much more refined than that of the past generations making it a welcome change on the road, but the trade off offroad is a less capable vehicle, but the 06-14 grand vitara hold their own.
Extra goodies:
2 inch lift
245/65/17 all terrains
Cb radio installed into the side of the passenger side center console with the antenna on the roof with a magnet mount. It has a 3ft fire stick attached.
Portable vhf radio
Sirus xm receiver attached to dash and connected to stereo via Aux.
JVC touchscreen apple car play stereo.
Ditch lights that attach via a mount to the hood that doesn’t require drilling as it is a clamp on and you tighten allan keys to clamp it on.
TRE snorkel.
Weather Tech colour matched floor mats.
Roof rails off eBay.
Roof top tent from local supplier.
Dash cam hardwired. View attachment 102256
View attachment 102258
View attachment 102260 View attachment 102261 View attachment 102262
I just bought one of these for my son. An '06 2WD. I noticed you upgraded the radio. Does the JVC have a back-up camera and Bluetooth? I'm looking to find a replacement set and am looking for recommendations.

·
Administrator
16,174 Posts
The answer may depend on which JVC you're looking at - I put a JVC in my daughters third gen, it has bluetooth and can accommodate a backup camera, but doesn't come with one.

If you have the tools & experience to do the install yourself, make a selection, with the features that are important to you, from crutchfield.com, if you're going to need help, try BestBuy, or a local shop.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts