Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can give me some simple instructions on finding top dead center and what the valves should be doing at TDC. I have an 1987 Samy with the 1.3L engine. My dad had the valves redone and we got everything put back together but it was not running well. A mechanic friend of my dad's said that the cam shaft was not at the proper location, so I took everything apart and thought I knew enough to get the #1 piston at TDC, but now I know that what my dad thought, and what he told me isn't necessarly correct. If I am understanding things correctly now, the #1 piston has to be on the COMPRESSION stroke, as opposed to the exhaust stroke, so how do you tell the difference? This is assuming that the cam isn't in the correct position so that cannot be relied upon. I also read a post on here that the distributor rotor should be pointing at tower 4 rather than tower 1. I am confused! Does this mean that the #4 piston should be at TDC on the comression stroke rather than #1? I hope someone can help me with this!

Thanks in advance,
Terri

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
both #1 and #4 are at the top of the stroke when the crank is at TDC. The difference between it being the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke is which valves are open. If your cam is lined up with the timing marks then the #4 cylinder should be on the compression stroke and the #1 should be on the exhaust stroke. THis means that the #4 piston should have it's exhaust and intake valves closed and the #1 piston should have the intake valve closed and the exhaust valve open. When the cam marks are lined up and the crank is at TDC and the #4 cylinder is on the compression stroke, the rotor in the distributor should be pointing at the #4 wire. You can actually move the rotor in 1/8 turn increments by pulling the dizzy out of the hole, turning the rotor and then sliding it back in. When you put it back in the hole, it will rotate the rotor and additional 1/8 turn as the gears mesh, so make sure you set it about 1/8 turn clockwise of where you want it to be and then when you slide the dizzy back in the rotor will turn CC and end up at the position you want. The dizzy can be adjusted while running to set the timing by loosening the position lock screw and turning the dizzy and then re-tightening the screw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baratacus, I do believe that is the information I needed! Thank you very much and I really appreciate you taking time on Thanksgiving to answer my question!

Thanks again,
Terri

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Everything is set properly now - the proper TDC and cam alignment, valve lashing gaps and timing and it's running great!

Thanks for your help Baratacus. That was the last bit of info I needed!

Terri

1 - 5 of 5 Posts