Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Geo Tracker/8V/Manual & 1996 Geo Tracker/16V/Auto
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it 132 in. lbs., 162 in. lbs., or 108 in. lbs.?

I’m seeing a lot of different numbers.

I adjusted all my valves perfectly, fired it up and had a few seconds of pure quietness, then loud. Pulled the cover again and they all loosened up. I don’t think I’m tightening the jamb nut enough (scared to strip it), and just want to hit it with the torque wrench.

·
Super Moderator
19,275 Posts
Is it 132 in. lbs., 162 in. lbs., or 108 in. lbs.?
ANY of those values will successfully tighten / lock in valve lash adjustment. You have either some other mechanical issue to contend with OR your Torque Wrench is suspect. :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANY of those values will successfully tighten / lock in valve lash adjustment. You have either some other mechanical issue to contend with OR your Torque Wrench is suspect. :(
I haven’t been torquing them. Just snugging them with a wrench. I have a tendency to over tighten stuff when I comes down to inch pounds. So I’ve been worried about stripping them out.

Let’s chalk it up to the loose nut behind the wrench for now. If I keep having problems I’ll blame something else. 😂

·
Super Moderator
19,275 Posts
;)
Inch-Pounds to Foot-PoundsConverter

You gave us the impression that you were torquing them, but weren't sure to which of several specs to shoot for, is why I responded as I did.

Pick the advertised mid-range (132) and go for it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
;)
Inch-Pounds to Foot-PoundsConverter

You gave us the impression that you were torquing them, but weren't sure to which of several specs to shoot for, is why I responded as I did.

Pick the advertised mid-range (132) and go for it!
People actually need that converter? It’s divide by 12 or multiply by 12.

I had a couple come loose. Pretty sure it happened while tightening down the jamb nut.

·
Super Moderator
25,901 Posts
Hmmm…..I would find it somewhat unusual that any 8v engine would give you ‘pure quietness’ with regard to the valves.…lol

Reactions: Flesh Eater

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm…..I would find it somewhat unusual that any 8v engine would give you ‘pure quietness’ with regard to the valves.…lol
Thanks for the confirmation! Hahahaha!

This is my first Suzuki, so I’m learning all about it. Not sure how a good one “should” sound. Mine went from crap to awesome, and I think I’m trying to make her too perfect.

She runs so good now. I love this even more!!!

Next is to get my 96’ red Tracker engine swapped and on the road. 😁

Here she is after a rip and second compression test confirmation. Got the winch and bumper on as well. All ready for some serious snow fun!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
554 Posts
sweet!

i was considerign a 6000lbs winch... will be interesting to understand how a 5000 does on yours.... give it a try when you are out there :)

what brand is the winch?

with those tires, do you have lower ratio diffs or transfer gears installed?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sweet!

i was considerign a 6000lbs winch... will be interesting to understand how a 5000 does on yours.... give it a try when you are out there :)

what brand is the winch?

with those tires, do you have lower ratio diffs or transfer gears installed?
5,500lbs. winch is way oversized for this little guy. 😂

It’s a Badlands Harbor Freight junk winch. I got it with a parts Sidekick I bought. Came with the bumper and winch, so I fabbed it up to the Geo.

Just running the stock 5.13’s. I do have plans to add the 3:1 Trail Savage transfer case gears and twin sticks. It runs so much better with 4 cylinders than 3!

·
Registered
554 Posts
gee... dont even want to ask whats the top speed in 5th with those tires and stock gearing.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts