Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what must be cylinder compression for Suzuki SX4 Sedan, year: 2012, automatic transmission, Engine 2.0

I'm waiting for reply.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Depends on mileage, but 180 should be good.. Important that they are all close

… Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on mileage, but 180 should be good.. Important that they are all close

… Philip

Thank you for your answer.
My car has arount 85.000 milage and I wonder if it is fine 150 compression?
To repeat, my car is: Suzuki SX4 Sedan, Year: 2012, Automatic transmission and Engine 2.0

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Disconnect coils, fully charged battery Wide Open Throttle, <------- this is where most go wrong.
crank until gauge stops rising, about 4 compression's per cyl usually. Should be 170 to 180 ish, no more than 15 psi imbalance, if you have imbalances greater than 8 psi, wet test, teaspoon of new engine oil down the plug hole, re-do test, oil each cyl just before you test, if pressures rise, rings are worn, if they stay the same, suspect valves are not sealing properly.

·
Super Moderator
17,654 Posts
You omitted the most important prerequisite...remove ALL spark plugs. ;)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
You omitted the most important prerequisite...remove ALL spark plugs. ;)
well, considering the compression tester has to go somewhere....I took that as a given. But yeah, all plugs out as well.

and Max..... :harhar:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I did not get the answer.

My question was:
Can anyone tell me what must be cylinder compression for Suzuki SX4 Sedan, year: 2012, automatic transmission, Engine 2.0, 85.000 milage.

:(

·
Super Moderator
17,654 Posts
But you did, with the diagnostic norm answer of.... "Should be 170 to 180 ish, no more than 15 psi imbalance"

If still in doubt, 'Google' a video on the testing subject complete with pics and narrative. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,255 Posts
You have a J20A engine - the compression numbers for the J20A are standard 199psi, lower limit 170 psi, max differences between cylinders 14.2 psi.

These numbers are from the SQ420 FSM for the J20 engine, not the SX4 manual, which I probably have somewhere but I am too lazy to go hunt for - you can try using google to find the RW420 manuals.

·
Registered
838 Posts
2012 is J20B but that is not the point. THe compression ratio between J20A and B is quite close.... What is expected is to have same compression on all cylinders and the indications above are OK. The exact number is not that important as there is an infinitesimal probability that ALL cylinders would have the same damage ..so if they are all the same, the engine is OK. A faulty or imprecise gauge may show more or less than expected....but it would be the same error for all.
Basic question: what problem do you try to solve ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assumed the 2012 would have the J20B engine, not sure when they started using these though. Was it only the SX4 that ever used the J20B engine ?
Yes, my Suzuki SX4 Sedan 2.0 (2012) have ' J20B ' engine.
If my compressed is 150 psi, is it OK?

:huh:

·
Super Moderator
12,255 Posts
No - 150 psi is way below the lower limit of 170 psi - BUT - IF all four cylinders are uniformly low at or around 150 psi, there may be reasons other than worn bores/rings causing the low compression numbers, and the methodology used in doing the compression test could be at fault.

There's been enough written in this thread for you to determine if the test has been properly done so I won't rehash it - the one thing I note is missing is that the engine should be warm or hot when the tests are done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your answers.

I have only one more question. The new car Suzuki SX4 Sedan 2.0 with engine ' J20B ' how much should be the cylinder compression ?

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.