Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested compression with a wide open throttle with a warm engine. I did not add engine oil as I was unsure on how much I could safely add.

Result-
1cyl:130psi
2cyl:110psi
3cyl:130psi
4cyl:140psi

From what Bex said Psi of a healthy engine should be at a MINIMUM of 170?
I want to retest again adding oil if someone could tell me how much I should be adding into each cylinder.

I do plan on taking off the head here soon to take a look at the valve/seats, replace gaskets( was replaced with a new one added 4 months ago), and do a little bit of cleaning. From what I read there are a couple things that can cause low compression:
1-worn piston rings
2-worn cylinder walls
3-gasket leak
4-valves are stuck or not properly seated

Anything else I should look for when I take it apart?

1998 Chevy Tracker 16v 1.6L 5spd 2dr
Bought with 244k Miles on the original engine 5 months back about 250k miles now

·
Super Moderator
23,575 Posts
All your cylinders are out of scope. I would first check the timing belt to make sure that the belt is on correctly (and check your crank key while you are there. If its not sheared, make sure you torque the crank bolt to 94 ft/lbs). To further check cylinder #2, an teaspoon of oil is sufficient.....

·
Super Moderator
12,097 Posts
Redo the compression test, but this time add a teaspoonful of oil to each cylinder before testing it - I'll bet the compression numbers come right up. You've got 250k miles on the engine, what are the chances it's just plain worn out?

·
Registered
135 Posts
....From what Bex said Psi of a healthy engine should be at a MINIMUM of 170?
I want to retest again adding oil if someone could tell me how much I should be adding into each cylinder.

I do plan on taking off the head here soon to take a look...
Think about a leak down test before any work is done it will point to gasket, ring or valve issues.

·
Super Moderator
23,575 Posts
Dunno if I’m reading this thread right, but it looks like it was posted in 2012.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With the engine running, take the oil cap off and check to see if there is any puffing from the hole. If so, chances are your rings are just wearing out.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
With the engine running, take the oil cap off and check to see if there is any puffing from the hole. If so, chances are your rings are just wearing out.
not a reliable method and a very big assumption to make.
The 4G63, LD28, TD42, J24B, and numerous other engines all "puff" from the oil filler cap at idle due to pressure resonances in the crankcase.
This then disappears as the revs rise and the pressure pulses stabilise. Using this method to diagnose worn wings should only be considered in conjunction with a leakdown test or compression test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts