Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the Sammy's I'm looking at apparently has borderline low compression numbers. Sounds like when the compression test was done in 2010 it had ~175 on 1, 2 and 4 and 165-170psi on 3. If these are even still accurate is this a motor that is needing a rebuild? it's a 1.3, stock carb and apparently was rebuilt once a few years ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
At 175~165 it's getting there, but still has some life left in it. I guess it depends on how good a deal you're getting on it. I believe a new stock motor, with stock head, is somewhere around 200psi.

My 86 is at 125k miles and down to 160 on all four cylinders, is overdue for a rebuild, but still runs ok. It's been that way for the last 10k miles. Oil consumption is about a quart every 700 miles and it shows some smoke when I decellerate. I know it's the rings, as I replaced the valve stem seals and the oil consumption was cut by about 1/3. I'll find a core to rebuild, so I wont have much down time when I swap in a new motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you replace the valve stems hoping it would bump your compression up? Or were you just trying to stop the oil burn?

·
Registered
264 Posts
did you replace the valve stems hoping it would bump your compression up? Or were you just trying to stop the oil burn?
I was hoping my oil usage was from the valve stem seals. The Sammi had been sitting for several years and the stem seals had hardened. New seals wont do anything for compression. I also found that the rocker shafts were scored, probably from lack of oil and too long between changes. These are pretty tough little motors and will really last a long time when properly maintained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts