Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the title was accurate for this, but this is what I'm looking for:

Is there any document out there that explains what years of Geo Trackers have parts that work with other years? For instance, I have a '95 Geo Tracker, but I am really not knowledgeable enough to know if a '94 or a '96 Tracker would have same parts to replace my broken/cracked parts or am I stuck with tracking down parts from another '95? To add to this, what Sidekick years also have same parts, in order to broaden my selection in finding parts, that would work with my Tracker? Again, am I stuck with just '95 Sidekicks (or no Sidekicks at all) or will other years be good? Is there a document that indicates all this?

Next, Is there a document/link/site that shows the differences between models of Trackers or Sidekicks? Sort of a 'comparison'. For instance, I'd like to look at and recognize another Tracker/Sidekick. let's say from the side, and simply say, "Oh that's a '94 Tracker because the widget there swoops down whereas the '95 the thingamajig swoops upward." My father-in-law can do that with all the classic cars. Or will I just need to do my own research and build my own knowledge as my father-in-law did?

Thanks
Ed

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
That's a pretty tall order. Basically, your Tracker is the same as a Sidekick - and for the most part, the parts from a 1991-1995 will fit your car, with the exception of the convertible top - if you have one - where 1995-1998 will be the same. But there are some parts, like computers, that are not interchangeable from year to year. If you are looking for specific parts, the best thing to do is make sure that your donor parts come from a Trackick. from 91-95, with the same number of doors as yours, and the same tranny. If you are looking for engine parts, make sure the donor is the same as yours (either 8v or 16v).
All the cars look fairly similar - usually it's only the molding that has changed from year to year, and maybe some detailing on the hood. Your car is a rebadged Suzuki Sidekick, and you will have better support looking for Sidekick parts, particularly if you are looking for new parts.
If you are looking for specific parts, it might be wise to post what you are looking for, for better info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BEX! Yea, I am looking for some parts, the black plastic trim around the back that the soft top attaches to the vehicle. I was going to post in the appropriate forum but didn't know what years would be appropriate.

You bring up a good point with regards to soft tops, though. I do know that the '94 soft top is different from '95, does that mean the parts I'm looking for (still looking for the correct terms) wouldn't work if I had parted them out from a '94, even though that's within the '91-'95 range you gave?

I really appreciate your clarification on this. That certainly helps in all areas!

·
Registered
158 Posts
in 95 they changed the top so u could open tail gate without un zipping the rear window... but the door latch is the same. still sucked. till 2000 or 1999.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If I remember correctly, becuase of all the variations in seats, the seat belts rarely match up from suz to geo or/and from year to year.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Speaking of seatbelts, he front belts from a '91 tintop are different {the retract gear} from a '91 softop.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
You bring up a good point with regards to soft tops, though. I do know that the '94 soft top is different from '95, does that mean the parts I'm looking for (still looking for the correct terms) wouldn't work if I had parted them out from a '94, even though that's within the '91-'95 range you gave?
The top from 1989-1994 attaches to the front bow (by the windshield) using sliding clips - from 1995-1998 it uses snaps. So you would need a new from bow if you were trying to use a 1994 or earlier top. Also, the 1995+ has removable side rear windows - they attach to the car a bit differently - this 'might' work going from the newer to the older car - it certainly doesn't work well using the newer windows in an older car.
I also think that the newer tops are just that bit shorter at the rear corners of the car, as well.
Frankly, it is just easier to stick with your generation (1989-1994, and 1995-1998, for the top only. Mechanically, the generations run 1989-1990, 1991-1995, 1996-1998).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts