Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to hit 30,000. Everythings' been changed except for the front diff. and transmission.
OK, questions for the Suzuki techs. Which drain plugs are which? They are so close together it's hard for a Suzuki novice to figure out...:)
I have the correct fluids on hand per the owners manual, one kind for the diff. the other for the trans, 5pd.
The rear was changed at 26,000, (for the first time, it was fairly clean though, not black)

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in both pics #1 is the drain #2 is the fill

Thanks for the reply but that's not my question. There are 2 drain plugs and 2 fill plugs in the "front end". Which is the trans, and which is the diff?
Obviously the 2 facing down are the 2 separate drains. They don't take the same fluid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the front gear lubes changed today. Another easy job. A little messy when you dump the transmission lube, but it cleaned up nicely.
Had very little metal shavings on either drain plug, but more of course on the trans. plug.
One curious thing I can only attribute to the previous owner taking the car to "outside" oil change/service places , (Wal Mart and Jiffy Lube, ACK!). Both fill plugs were fairly loose. In fact the transmission fill plug was just finger tight. Didn't need a ratchet at all to take it out. That explained the film of wetness around the bottom of both the transfer and transmission. Seeping fill plugs.
Well now they are tight and wrapped with teflon tape.....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
GL5 is also called "Hypoid Gear Oil" because of the type of gears (Hypoid Gears) in differentials and transfer cases. These gears require the special properties of GL5 oil.

On the AWD SX4:
* The first mandatory Differential Oil change is due at 7500 miles.
* The first mandatory Transfer Case Oil change is due at 15,000 miles.

The Gears in a manual Transmission are different and require the GL4 type oil.
Don't mix them or cross them. On the ClubSX4 forum, are many reports from drivers who got creative and put the wrong oil in their manual transmission and very quickly began having problems. *See the link I've put at the end of this post.
ONLY use GL4 in the MT.

Teflon tape is not recommended for those fill and drain plugs. It will shred when tightening and pieces of it can actually get into the gears. Not Good!

Suzuki requires a sealant, (Sealant 99000-31260, (Suzuki Bond No. 1217G) similar to "Permatex Gasket Maker", which I've used for many years.

There is also a specific Torque Spec. on both the fill and drain plugs.
Per the SX4 Service manual, the torque spec's are:
23 N-m, (2.3 kgf-m, or 17.0 lb-ft)

When doing your own car maintenance, "The Devil is in the Details", so to speak. Like, the car needs to be "Level" when you're filling any of those gear boxes, so you don't get too much or too little fluid in them. And you need to purchase a Torque Wrench.
( I have purchased both a 1/2" drive and a 3/8" drive torque wrench at my local Harbor Freight tool store)

I solved the problem of leveling the car, with a little magnetic level on the frame.

But then, for a guy, 68 years old, who does his own work, in his backyard, I guess I do many things that are not in "The Book". But, I "Get'r Done!".

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow, in Florida :cool:

PS:
rook13la, if your dealer doesn't have GL4 oil, I'd definitely NOT GO THERE!
Go to another reputable shop, where you can get the proper oil.
Make sure it's totally documented on your receipt, for warranty purposes.

My own local Suzuki Dealer (now out of business) changed my Transfer Case oil at the prescribed 15k miles. They charged me for two quarts of GL5 oil @ $16 per quart. The Transfer case only takes 20.29 ounces of oil. :mad:

I just changed that oil again, at 21,000 miles and the oil I drained out was cloudy and the magnetic drain plug had a huge Gob of Black Goo (metal) on it. So, I'm asking my self, "did they even change the oil, and if they did,,,, did they use the proper oil?" There should not have been so much metal sloughing off of those gears in just 6,000 miles after an oil change. :confused:

Tip of the day:
Make sure you're getting what you pay for and only pay for what you get!

Another great reference and testimonials:
http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657
and:
http://www.race-mart.com/Red_Line_Oil-RLO-50304.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts