Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in chilly Wisconsin. When I first start my Forenza in the cold weather, I hear a fairly loud intermittent raspy vibrating noise coming from the engine compartment. It goes away after a minute or so, but it isn't pleasant.

I took it into the dealer and the tech looked to make sure the timing cover wasn't put on wrong. This morning he started other cars on their lot, and they made the same noise. I think he's out of ideas.

It isn't a big deal, but I'd like to silence this beast.

Anybody have the same experience, or better yet, does anybody have the solution?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This even happens when the temperature is about 30 degrees. The oil is plenty fluid by then. It isn't the kind of noise you'd hear from cold oil. It's either a funny intake noise or something on the outside of the engine rattling around when the engine is at fast idle and in gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A block heater up north is a great add on to any car. But oil doesn't freeze it just starts to solidify or easy terms starts to look like molasses. Also check the oil that your running in your motor. Even though the manufacturer recommends an oil viscosity it doesn't mean it will work great in all parts of the world. So buy a block heater and get some info on your motor oil or go synthetic for the winter. Here is a website you can get some info on oil. http://www.lessfriction.net/motoroil.html
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is NOT the oil. It is a noise that seems external to the engine. It happens on cold start, only when the vehicle is at 1100 rpm. At that speed something is resonating. At 50 rpm higher or lower, the noise disappears. This just happens to be the speed that the engine runs at on fast idle when in gear. The noise seems to actually be coming from the area of the power steering pump. I'll get out my stethescope tomorrow morning and try to pinpoint the location.

A block heater might help, because the engine would not stay at fast idle or even fast idle at all. I doubt that it would correct the underlying problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's not the power steering pump. With my high tech stethoscope (long 1/4" wooden dowel) it seems that the noise is loudest at the exhaust manifold heat shield. I'll take it of and try to figure out a fix over the holiday weekend.

I wish everybody a blessed Easter and/or Passover.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know my car gave me a rather peculiar whirring noise at start up in cold weather. I do have a block heater, and the coolant warmth has only helped in so much as to prevent the noise from running longer than 10 seconds at the most. It only happens in cold weather, so I attributed it to low-flow oil until it has been circulated appropriately.

More than likely, it's the valves buzzing, or the cams against the lifters. I did have noticable lifter tick in my previous DOHC 24 valve V6 until circulation developed. It takes a little longer for oil to reach all the way up to the overhead cam engines, as opposed to a lower mounted pushrod.

By I note again, my sound disappeared before 10 seconds. You might want to ensure you are using 5w30 oil, or at least check to see if it is indeed right-full.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Suzuki owner@Mar 25 2005, 05:50 PM
ya hes right. I run AmsOil in my suzuki. or Quaker state 15,000.
But dude get the block heater and find out what happens
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Even if I got a block heater, I would not have a place to plug it in.

Attached is a short sound clip of the noise.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Even at -25C, my car won't sound like that. Only noises I've hear to date at cold temps was a P/S pump whining for 1-15Secs and a low frequency vibration (steady, not irregular like yours). Definately not loud as yours...

Yours sound like a leaking exhaust at cold... but I'm no mechanic to tell this. Just my impression.

And forget about the block heater... that won't solve your issue.

In Canada, the car comes equipped with it from factory. And they suggest to use it for temps under -18C... other than that, it's overkill.

·
Registered
363 Posts
a block heater dosent come stock. I live in alaska and my car didnt come with 1
I won't retract my comment, I'll just give more precisions on it. All 2005 Chevy Optra comes standard with a block heater. If you don't believe me, go check the specs on GMCANADA website (Under the mechanical section). But that might have not been the case for 2004.

I still think that having a car plugged all winter isn't going to solve his problem. And it is not always possible... like in public and workplace parkings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent a letter and a CD of the noise to Suzuki headquarters in California. They sent a field engineer to the local dealer to look at my car today. They found that the serpentine belt was just a hair too long. At a certain speed the belt would start to flutter and the tensioner would travel too far and start bumping on on its stop. They replaced the belt with one 8mm shorter (a Ford part) and the problem went away. They also fixed two other new cars on the lot that had the same sound.

I'm so happy . . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my "90" tracker I had both a very high idle when cold and "the noise" the fix for both problems is to pull the injector, ono the bottom of it there is a bees wax (same as the thermostat) sensor that controls the air at idle when cold. as the engine heats up the unit expands and closes up the amount of air at idle. this slows down the idle. the noiase issue is the air that is still being drawn across the air control unit is now vibrating as the spring has gotten a little weak, the fix for both these issues is to turn in the adjusting screw (very big about an inch in diameter) 1-2-3 full turns this is a trial and error adjustment. it depends on how weak the spring is and how weak the bees wax sensor is. I needed to turn my in 2- 1/2 turns to get the idle right, the noise comes and goes with this setting. hop it helps..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts