Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it states in the title. I removed the waterpump after replacing 2 thermostats and the . Both thermostats are opening at about 185 or so on the kitchen stove with a thermometer. I replaced all the antifreeze and did the burp of the cooling system with the large funnel until all bubbles were gone. Let the car sit and idle in my garage for 30 minutes, then revved the engine to 2200 rpms for 5 minutes or so and the vehicle stayed cool. Plenty of heat through the vents. I drive it to put it under load and it overheats in 5-6 minutes, then the gauge comes down pretty quickly, so I drive it a little more. It gets HOT and stays hot. I let it cool down a little and drive home. Pulled the waterpump and am now inspecting it. The fins move as typical inside the waterpump as I spin the pulley. I was hoping that the spline that holds the fins would've been severed, so I would definitely know it is bad, but it makes an ever so slight noise when I spin it, but certainly not the fried bearing sound. I hate to replace the waterpump and still have the same issue. Car has 85k. No antifreeze in the oil. I took a couple pix of the inside of the waterpump.
Any ideas would be awesome!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the radiator still in the car, and the hoses removed from the engine and waterpump, I sprayed water into the radiator through where the cap is installed. Water came out of the lower hose very slowly. Slower than I had anticipated. I continued that for about 10 minutes or so.. Then I put the nozzle into the upper radiator hose and water flowed rapidly through the water pump area (water pump is not on the car, as it hasn't been delivered yet). I then put the water nozzle into the upper radiator spout where the upper radiator hose connects and water started flowing faster through the lower radiator hose. Broke off a small chunk of the upper radiator spout but still more than enough to reinstall the upper radiator hose. Crappy brittle plastic. Lastly, I put the spray nozzle back in the radiator through where the cap goes, and it appeared that water was flowing out of the lower hose more rapidly, at least it appeared that way.

Just in case, does anyone have the repair manual pages for head gasket replacement? Removal looks fairly easy, but the timing chain and timing needs to be SPECIFIC or I'll get in trouble. Haven't done a timing chain/belt in 30+ years.

Thanks to everyone that has supplied input and opinions. MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.....
I want to thank EVERYONE that has responded and helped. I completed the waterpump, thermostat & serpentine belt replacement with no issues, and I finally have a toasty lower radiator hose and the car is no longer overheating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts