Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 94 sidekick & when I went to replace the air filter, the one for a 94 sidekick is almost twice the size as my box. I would like to stay with as much or more air as stock so I do not want to stay with this smaller size. Can I get an cold air intake without throwing codes (I have not even read the codes it does have yet) or should I find the original box for the air filter from another kick?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'91 Tracker (CAMI) 1.6-8v, 5spd-4WD
538 Posts
Personally, I would just get the filter element that fits that box. See those 2 "parts" that have electrical wires feeding to them, they communicate important info to the ECM for optimum engine operation. Delete these and you'll have headaches you DON'T want. Cold Air set-ups rarely work as they're advertised, anyway. Most of these set-ups cause the engine intake air to become very noisy, as well. Factory intake plumbing is designed to provide sufficient air and little noise and guess what?... they pull air from under the fender or other body panel. That's as cold as you're gonna get. Again, majority of 'cold air' systems use those expensive cone-shaped filters that are located inside engine compartment that is always very HOT!!!!!
Many are re-usable, but that oil spray you use on them is a mess. (K&N)
One system (VOLANT) has custom-made box and draws frontal air through an opening behind the headlights and rated as quite good. My 2000 Tacoma 2.7 was fitted with one by PO before I purchased it, seems to work fine, I replaced the cone filter with a cylindrical paper filter. But under even light throttle conditions, it's LOUD. Makes it sound as if there is a Godzilla Vacuum Cleaner under the hood. I sure don't like that noise.
Anyway, there you have my story.... think about it, is it worth all the trouble to change things?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would just get the filter element that fits that box. See those 2 "parts" that have electrical wires feeding to them, they communicate important info to the ECM for optimum engine operation. Delete these and you'll have headaches you DON'T want. Cold Air set-ups rarely work as they're advertised, anyway. Most of these set-ups cause the engine intake air to become very noisy, as well. Factory intake plumbing is designed to provide sufficient air and little noise and guess what?... they pull air from under the fender or other body panel. That's as cold as you're gonna get. Again, majority of 'cold air' systems use those expensive cone-shaped filters that are located inside engine compartment that is always very HOT!!!!!
One system (VOLANT) has custom-made box and draws frontal air through an opening behind the headlights and rated as quite good. My 2000 Tacoma 2.7 was fitted with one before I purchased it, seems to work fine, but under even light throttle conditions, it's LOUD. Makes it sound as if there is a Godzilla Vacuum Cleaner under the hood. I sure don't like that noise.
Anyway, there you have my story.... think about it, is it worth all the trouble to change things?
According to the parts catalog the wrong box is in there so I am thinking someone robbed it from a yard even thought it is not the exact right one, maybe off an older one or an 8v? Like I said I have not read the codes, for all I know those sensors are throwing codes. I will try to figure out what is supposed to be in there cuz everything I look up tells me this is the wrong air filter

·
Registered
538 Posts
According to the parts catalog the wrong box is in there so I am thinking someone robbed it from a yard even thought it is not the exact right one, maybe off an older one or an 8v? Like I said I have not read the codes, for all I know those sensors are throwing codes. I will try to figure out what is supposed to be in there cuz everything I look up tells me this is the wrong air filter

Yes, I understood you the first time! My 8-v Tracker has a rectangular one...not much bigger, so what? If the opening in the air box(for outside air) is anywhere close to the inlet size on the throttle body, you'll be fine.THIS IS NOT a high performance engine by any stretch! Codes???, well, maybe IF the sensors are bad. Are you getting codes? Yes, fix that first!
A wrong filter box is certainly not going to generate a fault code unless it came from a Vespa scooter, maybe ....lol.
BTW, many parts stores are very willing to show you pics/diagrams of the shape of different air filter applications... that's how I found the paper filter to replace the cone-shaped one on my Tacoma.. Surely the one you have now can't be that rare. To be honest, it almost looks as if it was designed to fit where it's at now..
Please don't think I'm trying to dissuade or brainwash you on the subject. Just speaking from experience and encouraging you to go the easiest, cheapest way.,

·
Registered
538 Posts
As a side note, Dominic.... a 1.6 ( approx 97 cu. in.) engine does NOT need the amount of intake air that you might think. Even at 5,000 rpm, it's doubtful that your naturally-aspirated, unmodified, 16-valve engine can even pull 250 cfm of air into the cylinders, it's much less than that. One of my first "hot rods" ran very nicely with a 600 cfm Holley... and it had a 5.7 liter v-8 (350 c.i.). I'm getting a little technical here, but you really don't have the problem that you think you have. An air filter to fit your air box will be fine, believe me.
Sorry if I'm not being helpful.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts

What's in that picture IS the stock air-box for a 16V 1994 Sidekick.

Reactions: ArroyoRat

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've thought about a cold air intake on other vehicles, but striped sure to the cost. Yep, I'm a bit cheap.

I do recall turning the air cleaner lid upside down on my 1970 Maverick - 170 ci, 1barrel carb... At 16 I sure thought it sounded cool.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've thought about a cold air intake on other vehicles, but striped sure to the cost. Yep, I'm a bit cheap.

I do recall turning the air cleaner lid upside down on my 1970 Maverick - 170 ci, 1barrel carb... At 16 I sure thought it sounded cool.

Yeah, I had to do it the hard way... drilled about 100 holes all around the filter housing of my mom's '63 Galaxie 500XL 390, (later swapped for a 427).
My dad WAS NOT impressed, to say the least!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I had to do it the hard way... drilled about 100 holes all around the filter housing of my mom's '63 Galaxie XL 390.
My dad WAS NOT impressed, to say the least!
Many years ago, my boss at the time had 69 Mustang, 428 Cobra Jet. The air cleaner had a door that would open via vacuum at worse open throttle. It wasn't very large, about 2-3 inches long and about 1.5 inches tall. I thought it was a pretty neat thing at the time.

·
Super Moderator
24,976 Posts
As your photo shows the stock air filter for the 16v, is there still an issue here? Personally, cold air intakes do little insofar as performance on a computer controlled engine is concerned, IMHO.

·
Registered
538 Posts
...."on a computer controlled engine".... ON ANY ENGINE, unless plumbed to outside of engine compartment!
See my posts #2, 4 & 5.... I think we already beat that subject to death, no????

·
Super Moderator
24,976 Posts
The issue regarding a cold air intake can be a bit different than just adding increased air into the engine. Cooler air contains more oxygen, increasing combustion. I don’t think that’s achieve by drilling extra holes into an existing air filter housing.
While carb engines can be ‘tricked’ into thinking the engine is still cold, an engine that runs off of computers has other sensors that override that, and indicate actual engine temperature.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The issue regarding a cold air intake can be a bit different than just adding increased air into the engine. Cooler air contains more oxygen, increasing combustion. I don’t think that’s achieve by drilling extra holes into an existing air filter housing.
While carb engines can be ‘tricked’ into thinking the engine is still cold, an engine that runs off of computers has other sensors that override that, and indicate actual engine temperature.
Hahaha.... Pcolapaddler and I WERE JUST JOKING ABOUT WHAT WE USED TO DO AS CRAZY TEENAGERS, Bex.. read posts SLOWLY!
I can teach you things about INDUCTION SYSTEMS you haven't even dreamed of!
Like I said.... subject is dying a SLOW death...lol:cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's obvious that some of us can't distinguish between comments of humor and teenage craziness from years ago and comments about fixing things as we know them today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I figured it out. For some reason most parts stores & some places online were showing the 1.8l air cleaner for my 1.6l. Ordered it by part number, problem solved. Thanks for the info & help. I am totally new to sidekicks & trackers so I am sure I will be back plenty

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ok I figured it out. For some reason most parts stores & some places online were showing the 1.8l air cleaner for my 1.6l. Ordered it by part number, problem solved. Thanks for the info & help. I am totally new to sidekicks & trackers so I am sure I will be back plenty

That's what we like to hear... problem resolved and wishing you lots of fun-filled miles!!!

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
414 Posts
This reminds me of when I was passing through California and needed a new air filter -- after many miles on dusty roads in my '76 Honda Civic. So I picked up a new air filter -- but it wouldn't fit. The clerk assured me it was the correct filter. After MUCH discussion (AKA, arguing), we realized that the air filters are DIFFERENT in California -- JUST California. I had to wait until Nevada to get the correct air filter.
I'm glad I didn't need new tires!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
This reminds me of when I was passing through California and needed a new air filter -- after many miles on dusty roads in my '76 Honda Civic. So I picked up a new air filter -- but it wouldn't fit. The clerk assured me it was the correct filter. After MUCH discussion (AKA, arguing), we realized that the air filters are DIFFERENT in California -- JUST California. I had to wait until Nevada to get the correct air filter.
I'm glad I didn't need new tires!!!!
Scary, alright... you could've ended up with 255/45x17's... with new rims, of course!

·
Super Moderator
24,976 Posts
It's obvious that some of us can't distinguish between comments of humor and teenage craziness from years ago and comments about fixing things as we know them today.
Most people come here for information to help them fix their cars, see information here and perhaps don’t understand that some posts are meant to be ‘humorous’ but rather pick up on the information as a source of assistance and knowledge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts