Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a bit more power out of my 87 sammy. without dumping alot of money into her. I occasionally have to take her on the highway and its quite a struggle to get up to speed. A couple of friends have recommended a cold air intake. Ive read up on the theoretical pros and cons but I want to get the real world facts on it.

1. Air there any major cons?
2. Will I need to retune my carb?
3. How much of an increase in power should I expect?
4. Whats the best company to go for?
5. Is there somewhere else I should spend my money instead?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
278 Posts
If the engine in your Zuke is bone stock. Spend your money elsewhere. The stock air box is a cold air system....
One of the best upgrades one can do to a Zuke engine to increase the performance is a carburetor conversion.
It can be done for under $125.... Research carb conversions........Boxcar...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice ive been thinking about installing a pony carb but im hesitant about screwing up my samurai when shes my only vehicle right now. Im very mechanicaly minded but I have very little experience on cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Scratch that last piece of advice.
This will be quicker.
1978 Toyota Corolla 2TC 1200 manual choke carb. $99 - $125 New.
As near a direct fit as you will find.
Needs a hand fab'd base gasket. And a throttle cable conversion bracket. And of course a choke cable.
You will end up with instant starts, Better bottom end , Better top end, and better MPG.
The entire conversion can be done in less than an houer...

...Boxcar...

·
Registered
686 Posts
x2 the above but I feel compelled to add something about "cold" air intakes.

An open element filter under the hood is a HOT air intake, albeit less restrictive. Less restriction is ok but not a big deal for a 1.3 or 1.6L engine with CFM requirements closer to a commercial grade weedeater than a small block V8. Most factory air boxes are well designed for stock or near stock engines and definitely preferable to sucking heat from under the hood. Doing nothing but throwing on a free flowing open element filter would almost certainly be counterproductive overall.

Cool charge (air/fuel entering engine) temperature is seriously underestimated or not even considered by many while performance nuts go to great lengths fabricating intake systems to avoid under hood heat from ever seeing the intake ports. Elaborate insulated custom airboxes and duct work, even dry ice boxes/fuel coils to chill the fuel before it reaches the TB/carb, lowering charge temp is free horsepower and has benefit for stock or performance vehicles. Obviously the Samurai with a Suzy engine is far from a race car but the theory of cool charge temp holds true, lending favor to a proper OEM air box over an open element system.

Decent cold air intakes include insulated or heavy shrouding to isolate the otherwise exposed filter element from under-hood heat and provides an avenue for cool air to enter the filter chamber, usually through the factory port. They are also considerably more expensive than the cheapo open element systems found on ebay. *Generally* If your vehicle reeeally needs that extra CFM then a proper low restriction cold air intake is money well spent.

Mine came with an open element and I will loose it and go with some type of factory air box as soon as I find one to adapt.

Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the advice everyone. It sounds like its time for me to figure out this carb swap.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scratch that last piece of advice.
This will be quicker.
1978 Toyota Corolla 2TC 1200 manual choke carb. $99 - $125 New.
As near a direct fit as you will find.
Needs a hand fab'd base gasket. And a throttle cable conversion bracket. And of course a choke cable.
You will end up with instant starts, Better bottom end , Better top end, and better MPG.
The entire conversion can be done in less than an houer...

...Boxcar...
I am interested in doing this carb swap as well. Do you know where i could find a new 2TC 1200 manual choke carb??

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A few pages back on this forum,there is a lad who has a Pony (Hyundai) carb on his rig.
Claims are the same as what Boxcar gives for Corolla.
If you have access to the Pony carb you could check it out.
Pony is a little easier to install as re /an/ re.
There are still parts available for them too, at the dealer.
Ones around here work good.
Just sayin...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll do some resurch and let you know.
Last I herd the Poney wasent available in the USA.
Autozone carries parts for the 2TC carb.
And as to the ease of insall. As far as conversions go, (and we do many) the only way this could be any easier wold be if it installed itself...
...Boxcar...

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your stateside I'd stick with the 2 TC. The Pony was never sold in the USA.
The carb for the gen 1 Pony may be the same though as the engine was a 1200 cc mill.
Haven't had time to do more resurch.....Sory...Boxcar...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wasen't able to find a Pony carb. But I did find a gasket kit.
The base gasket indicates the Pony is a diferent carb...The boars on a 2TC are equal size. The Poney has a larger secondairy. Not necessarily a bad thing...Boxcar...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts