Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone and hoping you are well.

Just reviving a topic of conversation from 4216 days ago, or 11 years, 6 months and 14 days (found here: (7) Suspension from Subaru(DO NOT ATTEMPT UNSAFE MAY KILL) - CLUBALENO (tapatalk.com) )

The conversation was around using GC8 coilovers on a baleno with minimal modification. It came to my attention again because on a Baleno facebook group there is a user who has been running this setup for quite a while.

His ride:

Obviously he went fully slammed and I wouldnt be doing this. But I thought I would see if anyone is also running a similar setup? My primary concern is the spring rate, from what I can find the GC8 spring rate is 10kg for the front, 7kg for the rear, and if you look at Liana (Aerio) coilovers their spring rate is about 7kg for the front and 4kg for the rear. I think the Baleno would be even less than this from the factory. Does spring rate bring any sort of danger to driving the car? or does it just make it more solid?

The idea would be to fit the GC8 coilovers and turn the dampening way down to the softest setting with no pre load on the spring.

I managed to get some information from the gentleman about the setup and unlike the original post, he didnt have to "Shave" the knuckles at all to fit the suspension.

The only things he had to do was to extend the hole where the strut bolts to the knuckle (I think this has to be replicated on the rear too), file one of the holes slightly on the top of the front strut, and drill a hole in the back tower to fit the rear (No pic available).

Picture of the bottom of the front strut

And here is a pic of the top of the front strut, note the slight rotation of the strut top. He said that because of this using the strut top to adjust camber will result in caster being thrown out so its best to just use the camber adjustment down on the bottom of the strut.

The reason for asking is coilovers for a Baleno are pretty much non existant (Found some from a company called gecko, but they are roughly $1500 plus shipping from the states) however GC8 coilovers for an "Alright-ish" brand are $400 and delivered from next week. Given the car cost me $50 and might see the track once in its lifetime (maybe twice) I don't need to drop stupid money on it for premium features. The goal is to stiffen the ride and get a nice amount of low so I can run nice wheels without them going through the fender when I go over a bump.

Before anyone asks springs and shocks were tested as 100% health by the suspension shop so they aren't faulty, they just have very fluffy low spring rates (from memory front is 4kg and rear is 2kg).
Going with a liana spring and shock setup beyond being expensive I cant find any pictures showing it fits, and I am not sure -30mm/-40mm is a low enough drop for the front to get rid of the ridiculous wheel arch height

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow, that’s a very old post of mine back when I had just started the forum. Lol. I have some info I should share here, I’ll update later.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I had tried looking into this once more before I bought my current sets of coilovers but I see no way of doing this safely without compromising safety for anything that's used doing this if its not normal driving. (even then I don't think it should be done) The fronts can be done Id guess, I think I am the only person who can do this as I have caster + camber adjustable top plates 1 of 30 made that work with this set up and I have no plans on selling them. I'm all for saving money, but I think suspension is something I'd suggest just get what's made foe the car.

That being said, now for your other question. The spring rates a little higher shouldnt be an issues if its 1 or 2 higher. But going significantly higher would cause an issue. Any manufacture of coilovers should be able to sell you a spring rate that will work with your choice. The coilovers I have work perfectly as the aerio is a bit heavier and a bit stiffer is better for performance giggity as I am now running a 2.3L in both cars I may consider changing the spring rates a bit to balance the car a bit more but currently it does handle sharply with the rally coilovers. Hopefully I can give my feedback on the street coilovers soon.

As for the knuckles, being a 1.6 or smaller engine I'd assume there is a difference in the knuckles. I dont have a 1.6 and the smaller engines were never sold in the US, I cant confirm this. I'd suggest look for a liana set or baleno. but for under 1000 I can totally understand the reasoning getting these. On the plus side, if you ever decide to sell the baleno set later on, they'll hold their value due to rarity better. Another option is just get new OEM springs. I'd imagine the springs get a bit softer over time, well, not softer but sag more. Unless you want to track the car, I'd suggest lowering springs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking into it and it turns out that spring rate has a greater impact than I thought. There is an advantage to having a softer spring which is that the tyre maintains contact with the road which increases traction. the harder spring rate actually reduces contact with the road when going over a bump etc so for safety I'll sadly steer clear from this option. Would be fine for a track setup on a track only car, or with severe downforce over factory but as a daily it wont experience either of these.

4kg up to 10kg is a massive difference that doesn't seem viable for daily use.

Time to look for some decent lowering springs and cut the s$^t out of the guards to fit the wheels I have.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looking into it and it turns out that spring rate has a greater impact than I thought. There is an advantage to having a softer spring which is that the tyre maintains contact with the road which increases traction. the harder spring rate actually reduces contact with the road when going over a bump etc so for safety I'll sadly steer clear from this option. Would be fine for a track setup on a track only car, or with severe downforce over factory but as a daily it wont experience either of these.

4kg up to 10kg is a massive difference that doesn't seem viable for daily use.

Time to look for some decent lowering springs and cut the s$^t out of the guards to fit the wheels I have.
I was very happy with my B&G lowering springs. I believe they were TUV rated so should pass any inspection.

I had originally bought mine on eBay, but these are the same ones.

·
Registered
399 Posts
saw these from H&R with a 30mm drop

35mm drop

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you. might look into the 35mm drop or just stick with Kingsprings which usually are a good quality spring.

Main thing is hoping to get this horrible eye sore of a wheel arch under control.

These are the rims im hoping to run, would love to space them out and put flares on the guards but given the highly illegal nature of wheel spacers in Oz there would be no way to do it without getting the ring around should the po po decide to take a closer look in an rbt.

0C271F6C-EDBD-4993-B5F5-05032792CCC1.jpeg

·
Registered
399 Posts
I dont think you should have any issues with fitment. When I lowered the car I barely had the tires scrape the sidewall and only if the cars suspension compressed fully. Not sure if that will defect you though. My set up was a 38 offset with a 15x7 rim and rubber was a 205/50r15. Could you possibly measure the wheel gap in the front and rear? I never measured what was OEM height and wanted to have a reference point. In metric please. :)

For reference on fitment/look lowered, heres mine on springs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh that looks very nice!! pretty much what I am after. Was that a 30mm drop? I would love 15x7 rims but with a newborn cant just shell out for that. so ill stick with the 17x7 that I have now and see how it goes.

Looking at how nice that sits, and the fact that you said you didnt have any scrub is making me think that maybe my springs are shagged. the thing rolls like a boat when cornering hard and scrubs like no tomorrow with the 17s on there, that being said if you look at my other pic the back sits very low on factory springs and the front sits very high.

Another thought, do the Liana/aerio spings fit the baleno shocks i wonder?

there are a few sites that list them as the same thing but for the most part they are listed separately. my guess is this has something to do with the spring rate. wouldnt be a bad thing to go lowered liana/aerio springs then I would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but not outlandish (like the GC8 coilovers)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh that looks very nice!! pretty much what I am after. Was that a 30mm drop? I would love 15x7 rims but with a newborn cant just shell out for that. so ill stick with the 17x7 that I have now and see how it goes.

Looking at how nice that sits, and the fact that you said you didnt have any scrub is making me think that maybe my springs are shagged. the thing rolls like a boat when cornering hard and scrubs like no tomorrow with the 17s on there, that being said if you look at my other pic the back sits very low on factory springs and the front sits very high.

Another thought, do the Liana/aerio spings fit the baleno shocks i wonder?

there are a few sites that list them as the same thing but for the most part they are listed separately. my guess is this has something to do with the spring rate. wouldnt be a bad thing to go lowered liana/aerio springs then I would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but not outlandish (like the GC8 coilovers)

was a 35mm drop. But just want to clarify I do get scrub in the rear under compression. I do want to note I foolishly added these springs on old struts that should have probably have been replaced. Let me check real quick on the liana and baleno springs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
From Suzuki they are listed as a different part number but I do know the struts from the US model fit the US model esteem. I was using Liana struts before, but you need to use liana brake hoses if you go that route as they mount to the strut differently and require an additional bracket on the hose not found on the baleno hoses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From Suzuki they are listed as a different part number but I do know the struts from the US model fit the US model esteem. I was using Liana struts before, but you need to use liana brake hoses if you go that route as they mount to the strut differently and require an additional bracket on the hose not found on the baleno hoses.
thank you for the info. I am still thinking that the reason for the different part numbers is the different spring rates. Funny enough H&R list the spring for the baleno as "baleno / liana spring" for their 35mm drop spring.

The only way to properly test would be to get a liana spring and put it into a baleno shock and hope for the best. which I might try if I can find somewhere which will exchange the springs if it doesn't fit.

The baleno shocks I have now are very good so i'll stick with them because the price here is roughly 200-400 per shock. At that price I may as well shell out the $1300 - $1500 for coilovers. :unsure:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small bit of an update.

Spoke with Kingsprings here in Oz to suss out springs for the Baleno. Their site said review in august but speaking with them directly they have no intention to bring the spring back as it had become such a low volume item it made zero sense to keep the tooling for it.

Other alternative was Lovells but I believe it is a similar deal and they dont list spring rates or have progressive coil patterns etc.

The only options I can see are:

• Hope that liana/aerio springs fit
  • Get some liana/aerio springs and shocks because the chance they fit is a bit higher
  • Get some Baleno or Liana coilovers because that is actually way cheaper than spring and shock setups
  • Bite the bullet and go with the Subi coilovers and maybe see if the manufacturers can do a reduced coil rate / find a coil that is softer to install into the setup.

I guess this is the perk of loving a now uncommon old car at least here in oz. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I just bought a Baleno wagon in Aus myself, and hoping to lower mine too. What are some recommendations on what to do?

As you know info is limited. GC8 or liberty coilovers (not sure which one) are sounding good right now though at $450 for a cheap set

Please help me! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Consensus is, not recommend to do the gc8 coilovers as there’s been documented cases of parts breaking while driving. Can it be done, yes, but your outcome may not be the same as those who have not had problems. I would recommend just spending the money on a quality set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us both, glad to see you’re still playing with your Suzuki’s too!

would you recommend liana coilovers as Baleno ones don’t exist in Australia

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us both, glad to see you’re still playing with your Suzuki’s too!

would you recommend liana coilovers as Baleno ones don’t exist in Australia
I currently use liana coilovers on both my balenos.

pictured is the rally set I just swapped out for the street/track set I use right now. But these are for the liana.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Guys,

I'm a Baleno owner from India. I'm also looking to lower my car. I have seen there are a few options for lowering springs by Cobra and Mts Technik, both offering 40mm drop. Also, how are B&G springs ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which brand are these?
I think they are Ksport but @chief can correct me If I am wrong. Very rally focused though so they cost a very pretty penny.
Other brands that make liana / aerio coilovers are BC Racing and also DGR from memory, both cost upwards of over $1200 aud.

I am not sure about those spring manufacturers that you listed as well because we dont get them here in Oz so I cant comment.

Although from memory in Chief's build thread he lists the 40mm drop springs on some 15x7 rims and it looked very nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts