Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96' Sidekick Sport keeps popping the code P0118 engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high voltage. The engine revs up to 2500 RPM and take a long to get down. What is causing this??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Disconnect the ECT coupler, the three pins are there solid, no rust. Turn the key on and view the coolant data on the scan tool, the value is -40F. I try to sandpaper the three pins and spray the WD-40 on both the pins and the coupler. Erase the code in the scan tool and start the car. The engine runs smoothly. Leave it that way at the moment to see what happen next???

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
with it unplugged the ECU should default to "normal operating temp" Chances are you will get more codes but if its idling and running ok, you should be ok to run it like this until you confirm the sensor is actually faulty or not.
If the sensor is faulty it could be giving you a permanent " i'm cold" signal so its keeping the idle up.

·
Super Moderator
23,826 Posts
Hmmmm...normally the coolant temp sensor works off of resistance, so that as the temp of the engine increases, the resistance becomes less, and the voltage becomes less. So if your circuit is indicating high voltage it would mean that the sensor is indicating a low temperature. At least with the 1.6L engine, you can test the CTS for resistance - at cold start the resistance across the sensor should be about 3000 or more ohms, depending on outside temps. When the engine is warmed up, the resistance should be about 350 ohms. Conversely, look for shorted wires to the sensor, that would keep the voltage high.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmmmm...normally the coolant temp sensor works off of resistance, so that as the temp of the engine increases, the resistance becomes less, and the voltage becomes less. So if your circuit is indicating high voltage it would mean that the sensor is indicating a low temperature. At least with the 1.6L engine, you can test the CTS for resistance - at cold start the resistance across the sensor should be about 3000 or more ohms, depending on outside temps. When the engine is warmed up, the resistance should be about 350 ohms. Conversely, look for shorted wires to the sensor, that would keep the voltage high.
Before going into deeper ohm or voltage, just clean the coolant temp sensor connections, clear the code and see if it returns.

See what will happen next!
I think it was the poor connection between the ECT (three pins) and its coupler. They are still the OEM sensor. At the moment, the car runs smoothly and quietly and the code does not come back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving today. The code does not return! It was the same for my TPS code. Never throw away your OEM Suzuki sensors!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts