Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 95 Tracker, 1.6, 16v, 4x4, and EGR and TPS codes showing. My question is this ---- The vehicle is idling just fine, sounds good, not burning oil, mpg seems accurate, and its shifting fine with no vibration, should I worry about these codes and clean my EGR valve and replace the TPS? Or keep driving her oblivious?

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
Is the car new to you, or did you just get the codes? First, you can try to pull the fuse for the dome light for a minute, which will reset the CEL. Then see if the codes come back.
By the way, as sensors rely on electrical wiring, it is always a good idea to check connections and wiring, as well as actually doing some diagnostic testing on the sensors themselves, rather than immediately 'replace'.
Try resetting the codes, then advise if they come back, in which case, they are real, and you can go from there.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The EGR system probably needs a clean and the TPS may just need adjusting. Neither are going to be expensive so you may as well have a look at it, it won't be running at its best with codes logged.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vehicle is new to me....CEL was on solid when I got it. I used the paper clip jumper trick and got the CEL to flash codes only after I flipped the NAG switch in the dash. To cleat the codes should I pull the dome light fuse with the key turned? I tried to clear the codes but had no luck.

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
You pull the fuse for the dome light and then replace it after a minute. That will re-set the CEL and erase any codes that are in the computer memory. But, if the nag function is on, the CEL will stay on (and you won't be able to get codes while the nag function is active).
If you find that removing the dome light fuse doesn't work for you, then disconnect the negative cable at the battery, which will also re-set the codes (as well as your radio memory, etc). If you find that the CEL still doesn't go off, try flipping the nag switch again, to make sure that this isn't preventing the CEL from going off.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Check the codes again. The TPS is checked at key on so if its faulty/not set correctly the CEL will come back on again, the EGR code should be cleared until it has run and the EGR test is performed again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need advice on a code 44, what should I do about the idle speed control??? Truck is still running fine...it's confusing me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleared the codes....got a code 12 and figured I was good. Ran the truck a bit and CEL came back on...now I get a code 51 and 44. I'm gonna clean the EGR valve tomorrow, but what do I do about the ISP???? I did notice I'm burning more fuel than I should (slightly lower MPG)

Thanks for all the help. This forum is a great resource. I haven't driven a tracker since I was in high school and I'm having a blast!

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
Did you re-set the CEL and a code 44 came back?? Code 44 is set when your car is idling at under 1000 rpm, but the TPS idle switch is off.
When you say that the car runs fine, what exactly does that mean? What is your warm idle, is it steady, etc? If there is no wiring problem to the TPS, then you would need to recalibrate the TPS to make sure it is set properly. Instructions on how to do this on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
You should advise what 'runs great', what your warm idle is, and what your 'lagging mpg' means. Code 44 is for the idle switch - indicating that your car rpm is under 1000 rpm but your idle switch is off. In any event, you should only run one post on this issue. Some responses on your other post.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car starts up and idles around 1800 till warm then drops to 1000, then when driving idles in Neutral at about 800rpm. Rpm seems normal when shifting. My MPG is around 25mpg and that seems good considering it has a 3" lift and 31x10.5 offset. CEL was cleared and off for a bit but now back on and code 44 showing. Sorry for the multiple posts....last night I think my wireless connection was screwy.

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
Your idle info sounds fine. And you are sure that the code 44 was not present before, yes?
Code 44 is basically either the throttle position sensor is not adjusted properly and needs to be recalibrated or is bad. Or the connector to the TPS is loose, or was disconnected, even temporarily, while the engine was running.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EGR probably wouldn't function real great w/o a gasket right? I pulled it off to clean it, it wasn't too bad...the connected sensor was pretty carboned up but the attachment point had no gasket! Shpuld be in friday then its back on and TPS will be addressed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts