Suzuki Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Bottom line is this - you're getting a spark.

To get a spark, the ECU has to switch the igniter on/off, to know when to switch the igniter on/off, the ECU has to see the CAS output from the distributor.

If the ECU sees the engine being cranked without any signal from the CAS, it sets a code 42, which you get if you leave the distributor disconnected - you're NOT getting a code 42 when the distributor is connected.

Perhaps it's time to stop focusing on the CAS sensor and move on with basic troubleshooting - you have spark, do you have fuel? Have you checked the fuel pressure yet?
Totally agree on the CAS. Fuel will be tested today. But if I have spark should not the car start with starting fluid? Maybe my dizzy is off that 1pm mark? Seems that I can only set it in 2 positions when attempting that 1pm landing. Sometimes close to 1pm dizzy adjusting bolt is to far to the right or to far to the left. Im going to try the other position with starting fluid and then proceed with fuel pressure test.

Thx mate!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,742 Posts
If you have a timing light you could use it and "SEE" where the spark is happening..

·
Super Moderator
25,243 Posts
You initially advised that it ‘tried’ to start with starter fluid. Maybe you weren’t generous enough with your spraying??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you have a timing light you could use it and "SEE" where the spark is happening..
I have one. But she would not start. Can I look at timing with light even with no start, say just cranking?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You initially advised that it ‘tried’ to start with starter fluid. Maybe you weren’t generous enough with your spraying??
My good friend Bex and the whole Suzuki-Forum contributors as well. She fired up!! I knew it had to be related to timing. The day she started when the oil spill happened, I removed dizzy and when putting it back I swear I did in the same manner (obviously not) So last night I kept digging the net here and there until I found 2 resources in which they set theirs something like this.

IMG_9199.jpg

Which at some point I had it like this, but since FSM advises to have adjusting bolt centered to dizzy base hole, and at the same time rotor pointing to 1pm, well I said I must be doing something wrong. But anyway I tried, either was to far left or close to middle but no start. Soo last I went ahead and marked everything (dizzy plastic cover and cap) and even glued a piece of tie wrap so I could see if tip of rotor would point right in the middle of spark 1 post, and it did. This morning I rechecked I had spark at at all 4 wires, gave her I try without fuel pump connected (had tried several times last night and I might have flooded) then she like wanted to start but like really meaning it and then I plugged FP connector and Vroooom!!. Thanks to all. Im still going to check that Fuel pressure, I got the kit but it doesn't have the proper fitting for my kick. I got the OEM brand form Autozone on a loan. So Il get the fitting somewhere and do that final test. I think Ill get a new FPR since this is the original one and a little assurance does not hurt. This is one hell of a community and without your input for sure would have been a steep hill to climb.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,742 Posts
Glad you have that sorted, just the spark I need this morning...

Reactions: Bex

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,243 Posts
The 16v distributor is normally set to ‘1:00’ - which yours is now. 1:00 means a bit to the right of the center bolt, just like in your photo. Conversely, the 8v distributor would be set to 11:00…..

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
41 - 49 of 49 Posts