Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. Truck stopped working and my suspicion was I had an spark related issue and after searching and reading and testing truck gave me code 42. Now I did all the troubleshooting to confirm that, as per FSM procedures and in fact came down to a bad CMP. I did compression tests (190PSi) on each cylinder, cap, rotor and wires are fairly new.

Actually while testing I tried to fire her up and she did but died soon after. Belt is not snapped, cam is turning and Battery is a new one also. My question: is there a set of tests besides that troubleshoot sequence, for the CMP out of the car like for Ohms?
DTC-42 002.jpg

I want to be sure before getting a new dizzy. Also is that part (CMP) sold separately?

Thx to all!

·
Super Moderator
25,248 Posts
If you look in chapter C4, under ignition systems, you’ll find an additional test for the CAS. All tests that I see, however, deal with voltage...I’ve not seen one regarding ohms.
The parts catalog does not indicate a part number for the CAS....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you look in chapter C4, under ignition systems, you’ll find an additional test for the CAS. All tests that I see, however, deal with voltage...I’ve not seen one regarding ohms.
The parts catalog does not indicate a part number for the CAS....
Ok Bex will look into that. As always, thx so much!!

Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
The manual I'm looking at which may or may not be the correct one for your vehicle shows the CAS as connected to B3 & B16 at the ECU, and shows a resistance of 140~180 ohms, you could also try scoping the signal if you have access to an oscilloscope.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual I'm looking at which may or may not be the correct one for your vehicle shows the CAS as connected to B3 & B16 at the ECU, and shows a resistance of 140~180 ohms, you could also try scoping the signal if you have access to an oscilloscope.
You are right and I read well before proceeding cause B13 is not the white wire, but going out of Dizzy towards harness is covered in a grey/white color. So maybe ECU pins I tested were the wrong ones? But at least the other testings of connector and backprobing white wire are relative to my car. Mine is a 3 prong Dizzy/connector. No access to and Oscilloscope.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
I just realised you're using a GM Tracker manual - the Suzuki versions can be downloaded from the link below - the one I was looking at is 99501-60A50

Rhinoman's Suzuki Service Manuals

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just realised you're using a GM Tracker manual - the Suzuki versions can be downloaded from the link below - the one I was looking at is 99501-60A50

Rhinoman's Suzuki Service Manuals
Ok now Im confused because my B3 is indeed white and related to CAS but my B16 is violet/black or blue and goes to data link connector?
I will be sending pics of my connector soon.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my connector with all the B pins. Pics are from top, connector side and bottom. Another question is B1 first left top row or bottom row? Also Do I count empty spaces to ID wire numbers with correctly?
image1-2.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are
95ecu2w.jpg
ECU C2 connector numbers and wire colors, for my 16V (VIN 6) models. B16 indeed is a purple/green wire that goes to data link and B3 is indeed the positive CAS wire. I tried measure resistance across this pins with connector on Dizzy and could not get any reading. Don't know if tis correct but also tried CMP connectors for Ohms and no readings.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Where's the "negative" CAS wire?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where's the "negative" CAS wire?
The negative CAS wire is at B16. And If I measure between those 2 pins I get no readings, even if done directly at CAS pins at Dizzy. But B16 is labeled as Data link connector. Its it a shared negative? Really really confused.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.53.03 PM.png

·
Super Moderator
25,248 Posts
I may be muddying up the waters on this one, as my FSM is for the 8v, but the CAS in the 8v is grounded via the black/green wire, and it is the ECU ground that provides that negative....which would be B14 in the FSM diagram in post #9.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may be muddying up the waters on this one, as my FSM is for the 8v, but the CAS in the 8v is grounded via the black/green wire, and it is the ECU ground that provides that negative....which would be B14 in the FSM diagram in post #9.
Ahh don't worry. Is good when we have different inputs on a certain issue. Ok, will look into it. Besides that, if I tested CAS pins for ohms, between all three, I should get a reading, if not, would that make it defective?

·
Super Moderator
25,248 Posts
Personally, I don’t know of any ohms test that tests the CAS, nor does my FSM indicate such a reading. It basically boils down to the fact that if the white wire is not sending the CAS signal to the ECU, then either the white wire, or the CAS, has the problem, AFAIK.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Ahh don't worry. Is good when we have different inputs on a certain issue. Ok, will look into it. Besides that, if I tested CAS pins for ohms, between all three, I should get a reading, if not, would that make it defective?
Testing it with a multimeter can kill them, and you won't read anything.

hall effect sensors don't like volts poked up them from multimeter. A scope is a better tool to use once you have proved the power supply to it is ok, its the only way you will see pulses on the white wire.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Testing it with a multimeter can kill them, and you won't read anything.

hall effect sensors don't like volts poked up them from multimeter. A scope is a better tool to use once you have proved the power supply to it is ok, its the only way you will see pulses on the white wire.
Does it actually have a hall effect sensor - the manual I'm looking at suggests otherwise - it not only recommends testing with a multimeter, it states the resistance you should get when doing so..

·
Super Moderator
25,248 Posts
Does it actually have a hall effect sensor - the manual I'm looking at suggests otherwise - it not only recommends testing with a multimeter, it states the resistance you should get when doing so..
Fordem, what resistance does it state? My FSM does not indicate any reading for this, so it would be good to know for the future.
While I may not be correct, I don’t believe that any of the distributors from 1991 on have a hall effect sensor. IIRC, only the 89/90 would.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fordem, what resistance does it state? My FSM does not indicate any reading for this, so it would be good to know for the future.
While I may not be correct, I don’t believe that any of the distributors from 1991 on have a hall effect sensor. IIRC, only the 89/90 would.
The thing is that according to FSM 99501-60A50 there should be a resistance value for CAS at said wires.

I got a hold of a 95 dizzy and she started up roughly, but started. Now Im gonna time her and see whats happens.

Cheers!!

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, now she won't start, but no longer giving me code 42 nor other, just 12's. Im trying to insert dizzy with that 1 spark at 1pm, but either is a bit to the right or a bit to the left. Already check my mechanical timing and it is at 0 degrees on pulley V mark on cylinder 1. What else could I look for or do? Last night she started, rough, but did, and I thought it was just a matter of timing her right, which is what I did today. Spark firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 CCW. Battery now is at 12.48 volts with all that cranking, so I think enough juice to at least start her up. All 3 fuses: dome, IG and FI re-checked and are good.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,750 Posts
Static (mechanical) timing is done to #4 TDC firing, electrical (spark) to #1

Reactions: Bex
1 - 20 of 49 Posts