Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finished putting in my new rebuilt motor I push in the clutch and it wont go in gear? The tranny feels fine it goes in all the gears smooth when the car is off but once running it wont engage? i tryed adjusting the clutch cable and thats not the problem...could it be the pressure plate? throw out bearing? the cluch fly wheel and bearings were in a box inside the samurai when i bought it and they looked brand new as if the old owner just purchased it..could it be the wrong pressure plate? any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
who makes the clutch? Do you know if it's a dual friction clutch or if it's the stock unit? Did you use a clutch alignment tool when installing the new clutch? When I first put my clutch in it wouldn't disengage when I pushed the pedal in. I ended up cranking it with it in gear and the starter motor was enough to torque the pressure plate loose and the clutch released. Havn't had any issues with it for the last 10 years. (wow I didn't realize my clutch was so old!)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i used a clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch. my problem is it wont go into any gear the clutch wont engage..i guess ill try my new centerforce clutch im getting tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sorry, my bad. For some reason I read it won't disengage...

If it won't engage it could be that the fork is bent, and that won't be fixed by putting in a new clutch.

If the arm is set to far out then you won't be able to adjust the cable enough with just the adjuster nuts. You might need to slip the arm off of the splines and move it to a position where it is closer to engagement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
'm not sure if your running the stock 1.3L or the 1.6L but you might have to loosen the clutch lever (that the cable attatches to) and move it a notch or two. I had that problem when i did the 1.6L swap. And as far as the centerforce clutch DO THE PROPER BREAK IN!!!!!!! if you do not it will wear out faster than you can even imagine!!! the break isn is like 500 miles of intown easy driving etc. Mine was NOT broken in properly and it's about to go out with only about 1500 miles on it. Break in with centerforce is KEY!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem is fixed thanks guys thanks....yes im driving it around town for a few hundred miles before i go offroading or anything extreme..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the problem is fixed thanks guys thanks....yes im driving it around town for a few hundred miles before i go offroading or anything extreme..
cool, if you treat it right, that centerforce clutch will last a long time. As I mentioned, I've had my centerforce dual friction clutch for 10 years. I imagine it will be crapping out on me soon... nothing on a samurai should last that long without failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts